We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time south of Dominical

San Diego...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
1st time south of Dominical

It's our 7th trip to CR, but this will be the first time we go further than Dominical. I've asked several people where to go - I had heard that Golfito was a great place from a past client (but non of the travel books agrees). In the Southern most part of Costa Rica where are the places to go?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time south of Dominical

What's your budget?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time south of Dominical

Budget isnt really an issue - we love Costa Rica for having a great time whether it is $20 a night or $400 a night - I think that is the beauty of the whole country. But, geographically, we have no idea what to expect South and where we should go.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time south of Dominical

If budget isn't an option, then check out one of the nature lodges around Cabo Matapalo on the Osa Peninsula: Bosque del Cabo; El Remanso; Lapa Rios

Definitely can recommend Bosque del Cabo, been there. Simply amazing. I'll be staying at El Remanso for a couple nights in December, so I'll find out how that is. But BdC is a very special place.

You would fly to Puerto Jimenez, and then be picked up for a 45 minute drive to any of these lodges.

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time south of Dominical

Hi,

I too highly recomend Bosque Del Cabo, also La Paloma is amazing! Golfito is more of a port town and by far nice in comparison to the rest of the areas around there.

Puerto Jimenez is a great town and you can head to Matapalo which has a bunch of great eco lodges as well. Plus, Drake bay is a unique experience!

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

San Diego...
Level Contributor
14 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time south of Dominical

Thank you for the great input!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time south of Dominical

If you like to drive...go to Puerto Jimenez and then to Carate...ISEAME is a great place and about $80.00 per person including 3 meals and lodging... simple place...but the onwer is not going to be laughing all the way to the bank once you pay your bill!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time south of Dominical

If you want a great wildlife and hiking experience, among other things like delicious food and wonderful staff, I recommend Bosque del Cabo. Location is A+ and so is the lodge.

Charlotte NC
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time south of Dominical

Another option in the Puerto Jiminez area is the Iguana Lodge. Ask for Juan Carlos to take you on a nature drive or go fishing with him and his brother, Giovanni. Keep yours eyes peeled for spinner dolphins. Watch out for Giovanni on the ping pong tables - he's great! The Iguana Lodge has two-story cabins where you can choose which floor to stay on - I recommend the top floor for the breeze. The beach is just a two-minute walk from your front door. Family-style dinners and breakfast were fantastic! Iguana Lodge is just south of Puerto Jiminez about a 20 minute ride and faces the Golfo Dulce.

We also stayed at Bosque del Cabo - also beautiful and great food. Nice hiking trails in this huge property (if I remember correctly) 6,000 acres of pristine waterfront facing the Pacific. You can walk on the beach and never see another soul. There's also a nice waterfall off the beach - the staff will give you directions. You can't go wrong with either choice!

Charlotte NC
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time south of Dominical

Another option in the Puerto Jiminez area is the Iguana Lodge. Ask for Juan Carlos to take you on a nature drive or go fishing with him and his brother, Giovanni. Keep yours eyes peeled for spinner dolphins. Watch out for Giovanni on the ping pong tables - he's great! The Iguana Lodge has two-story cabins where you can choose which floor to stay on - I recommend the top floor for the breeze. The beach is just a two-minute walk from your front door. Family-style dinners and breakfast were fantastic! Iguana Lodge is just south of Puerto Jiminez about a 20 minute ride and faces the Golfo Dulce.

We also stayed at Bosque del Cabo - also beautiful and great food. Nice hiking trails in this huge property (if I remember correctly) 6,000 acres of pristine waterfront facing the Pacific. You can walk on the beach and never see another soul. There's also a nice waterfall off the beach - the staff will give you directions. You can't go wrong with either choice!

Charlotte NC
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time south of Dominical