We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reccomended lodging on Osa Peninsula for a sinlge female?

Which Puerto Jimenez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oregon
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Reccomended lodging on Osa Peninsula for a sinlge female?

I am traveleing with friend through CR in May for the first time, and have elected to stay a few days on my own at the end of the trip. I want to stay in the Osa area (for its sheer biological diversity and beauty), and have narrowed it down to Casa Corcovado, Playa nicuesca or Bosque del Cabo. My question is this: I am a pretty social person, and don't want to spend my time completely isolated. Does anyone have any suggestions for which lodge (or even one not mentioned here) would be better suited for a solo female (group meals, good guides, lots of inclusive activities, etc). Help?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reccomended lodging on Osa Peninsula for a sinlge female?

I've stayed at 2 of those, Playa Nicuesa & Bosque del Cabo. I would say Bosque has much more to offer and I've traveled there several times solo/female.

Playa Nicuesa is a lot smaller and owns much less land, one of the downsides (to me) was the quality of the guides and of the trails. I didn't feel at ease taking the 2 or 3 trails alone as they were not well maintained and even when I went with a guide (at cost, that we did at extemely fast walk) he got lost at one point! The employees were all very friendly though.

Bosque, on the other hand, owns thousands of acres wil many well-maintained trails that I always felt safe to walk on my own. They have about a dozen cabinas and a couple rental houses, so it's big enough to have great talks & such at the bar and at dinner but small enough where you rarely run into other people on the trails. Though often after talking with others at dinner I would tag along on some of the trails with other couples. The small pool & bar in the late afternoon is also a great place to just hang out with others, or retreat to your porch/patio if you want some alone time. Plus, two of the guides there, Philip and Eduardo, are some of the best I've found anywhere. Just one more thing, I found the ability to wander about the trails when I wanted/as much as I wanted a great added value. Sometimes I do some of their activities, like horseback riding, about $35, or the night tour, about $15, but mostly I just walked the trails and still haven't been on all of them yet!

Have fun deciding.

Level Contributor
806 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reccomended lodging on Osa Peninsula for a sinlge female?

We were just as Bosque and I think I would be VERY happy and comfortable there as a solo traveler.

There are just enough organized group hikes on-property if you're interested but not enough to make you feel like you're being herded around. The guides are fantastic, by the way.

Mealtimes are very social, especially dinner. I have to confess that I'm not generally a group-hug type of person but I really enjoyed meeting and talking to the people I met at dinner. It was a very laid-back group of people.

If you want to do any excursions out of Perto Jimenez (kayaking, fishing, animal sanctuary, dolphin watch, etc.) the taxi ride in is very expensive but if you check the activities board the night before, you can find out others who are going and share a taxi.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
157 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reccomended lodging on Osa Peninsula for a sinlge female?

There were several singles at CC when we visited 2 years ago. None were on their own during meals or at the bar unless they chose to be. I think the other guests as well as the hotel guides, waiters, bartenders, etc. made it a point to make sure they felt comfortable and welcome. On guest was a woman from Denver on her own and seemed delighted with the facility. Group dinners - four to a table, so we (as a couple) enjoyed the company of the singles several times. But there are only 16 cabins, so there arent' many other people to chose from. . .

4. Re: Reccomended lodging on Osa Peninsula for a sinlge female?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 pm, September 24, 2009