We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging in Carate

Which Puerto Jimenez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Lodging in Carate

Any suggestions for lodging in Carate area? Two persons. Planning on end of Nov 2008 early December.

Thanks.

Karen D. Kudia

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging in Carate

Hi Karen...you do not have to many options in Carate...not more than 2...I am going back there in 4 days...I will get some more information for you!!

Luis Road Advisors

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging in Carate

Lookout Inn is a nice place, Terry & Kayta are very welcoming and the rooms are well kept & reasonably priced. Plenty of food, not gourmet but filling as well. Short walk to the beach, which is right in front down a lot (and I do mean a lot!) of stairs. They can set up tour for you into the park, there is also a trail (it's actually a very very long driveway) nearby where many monkeys can be found.

There is also Luna Lodge real close by, more of a walk to the beach from there if that matters and a little more private.

To Carate, the 2 hour drive in a taxi will run you approx $60 or if you arrive (or depart) in time for the collectivo it's about $5.

Florida
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging in Carate

Thanks.

What times does the collectivo taxi leave Puerto Jimenez and where do we find it? Do we make reservations or is it first come first serve? How many people does it hold? Does it stop on route to various places like Bosque etc? What times does collectivo leave Carate to Puerto Jimenez? I assume it is safe.

If Lookout Inn can arrange a hiking trip into Corcovado Park what would 2 night/3day hike cost? Is it worth the cost to go into Sierna and stay at dormitory and explore the area? I'll will email Lookout them directly and see what they suggest.

If we decide to stay for two nights in Carate after the hike in and out, is it worth it or is it best to stay closer to Puerto Jimenez?

Thanks for all your suggestions and welcome any other ideas.

Karen

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging in Carate

It sometimes varies a little, the lodges would have the most up to date time but it usually leaves PJ around 6:00am and 1:30 pm, returning from Carate at 8:30am and 4:00pm. It departs near the bus station, PJ is very small, when you arrive just ask someone to direct you there. The collectivo is basically a pick-up with seats in the back, I didn't feel unsafe, but sometimes you do need to duck for tree branches and hold on through the potholes. They will stop any where along the Carate-PJ road that you ask them to.

If after Carate you decide to stay closer to PJ, some good ideas are Bosque del Cabo (about an hour from PJ) or places like Iguana Lodge or Yellow Coco which are not too far outside PJ.

Your best bet for Corcovado would be contacting Mike Boston and his company Osa Aventura - http://www.osaaventura.com/index.php

They have day tours or you can make up your own schedule, they can probably book your Carate hotels for you if you wish as well.

5. Re: Lodging in Carate

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 19, 2009