We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking/Getting Permita for Corcovado last Minute: Sat-Sun

Nosara, Costa Rica
3 posts
Save Topic
Hiking/Getting Permita for Corcovado last Minute: Sat-Sun

My friend and I would like to take a guided tour of Corcovado and spend 1 night at the Sirena ranger station. We are currently in Nosara so would need help arranging a flight to Puerto Jimenez and then to Sirena, or to a location that would get us within hiking distance of that station. I've heard there is the option to fly into the airstrip or take a boat from (Bahia Drake?) We are on a bit of a budget and time crunch and would be most likely to do the cheapest option. The earliest we could fly to the Osa Peninsula is tomorrow, and then my flight leaves San Jose at 1 PM on Monday. So I'd probably have to leave the Osa on Sunday to be safe.

Can you please suggest what you think would be best and give a price quote? I hiked a different part of the park years ago and really want to share this with my friend. I think I started or ended in Carate and spent the night at the Los Patos ranger station. I heard Sirena is the best location to see animals from. Also, the last guide I went with, Oscar Cortes, helped carry our food, cooking fuel, and was so helpful with timing river crossings and making sure we didn't get stuck in the dark.

Muchas Gracias!

Sarah Noel Ross

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,333 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking/Getting Permita for Corcovado last Minute: Sat-Sun

Don't expect to get lucky at the last minute Christmas week. You need advance reservations to hike and you can no longer cook at the ranger station so need to eat cold food or order meals in advance. I suspect you can't get reservations at this late date. You could try calling some of the guides to see if they have any openings, but realistically your best option is to find a Drake Bay lodge with a room and take a daytrip by boat into Sirena and/or San Pedrillo ranger stations.

Try Mike Boston at Osa Aventura: http://www.osaaventura.com/contactus.php or jaguardman on this forum.

No one can give you a price quote on this forum because it is against the forum rules to solicit business directly.

Edited: 2:13 pm, December 19, 2013
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,112 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking/Getting Permita for Corcovado last Minute: Sat-Sun

Flying into Drake Bay (Bahia Drake) and taking the one day boat tour to La Sirena is your only reasonable option. You will need three days for it; all other options will take longer. However, you will need two nights at Drake Bay; its Christmas Time, says one song ...

Edited: 3:41 pm, December 19, 2013
3. Re: Hiking/Getting Permita for Corcovado last Minute: Sat-Sun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, December 21, 2014
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question