We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

costa rica, general advice re place to stay

leeds
Level Contributor
248 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
costa rica, general advice re place to stay

Hi all,

I'm looking at a trip with my wife and daughter in september 2012 to costa rica. My wife and daughter are not into hiking etc where as I am. Hence I have abit of a strange wishlist.

I am looking for a reasonably comfortable hotel, on a beach but with a rainforest/jungle/mountain backdrop. An abundance of wildlife a nearby town or village with afew bars/restaurants and a sea that doesn't have sharks or similar (want to do a bit of snorkelling).

The blurb on the surrounding area at http://www.casa-marbella.net/ sounds ideal. Although this hotel is highly rated by tripadvisor I haven't seen many people mention the howler monkeys, geckos etc that are allegedly rife in the area.

Does anybody have any idea of a location that would be close to my ideal and close to good walking routes(preferably with a local guide not a company).

I know it's the "green season" and don't mind getting wet

Many Thanks for any help/ advice you can give

galey.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: costa rica, general advice re place to stay

The Caribbean coast is great and I am sure you will love it, but there are many many places on the Pacific coast that are not "tourist hotspots."

I do like Banana Azul - great location and excellent food.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,646 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: costa rica, general advice re place to stay

The Caribbean coast is very nice and there is Police there, there is plenty of advice on the forum on safety that is not only applicable to the East Coast, Costa Rica but to anywhere you travel. There is a community action in the east coast organized by locals Ticos and the resident expats with Police involvement. And I am sure you will enjoy it! The east coast is not very touristy but does also have its tourist hot spots IMO like Puerto Viejo but not too crowded most of the time and a nice destination with many surrounding smaller “villages”.

The Pacific coast is not all touristy at all, the areas that are popular like Tamarindo, Jaco, Manuel Antonio and some others. However many parts of Guanacaste as well the South Pacific - South of Dominical Uvita, etc most days only has a few local surfers on the beaches or they are deserted. If you look further South on the Pacific to parts of Osa Peninsula (Corcovado) very few tourists ever make it there.

If your instinct sends you to the East Coast I would go for it! Enjoy!

13. Re: costa rica, general advice re place to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 am, October 24, 2012