We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corcovado trip in late April-suggestions?

marietta , Ga
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Corcovado trip in late April-suggestions?

I will be travelling with my two sisters (60s) to Corcovado. I am wondering if we should book through a travel planner or go through a hotel to plan excursions? A few resorts have been suggested: Jintes de Osa in Drakes Bay, La Leona -Carate I think, and La Luna Lodge-Carate. We will want excursions on two days. Is Drakes Bay too remote? Could 3 people be accommodated at La Leona? I see only tents for two people? Lots of questions I know --appreciate any feedback.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,848 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corcovado trip in late April-suggestions?

No need to book through a travel planner as activities and excursions will be arranged by your lodge and in most cases they are willing to book the airfarefor you from San Jose down to the Osa.

Jinetes de Osa in Drakes Bay, as well as the Lookout Inn and Luna Lodge between La Leona and carate are all good simple choices. I suggest you check out their websites as well as look at reviews on this site.

You can not take excusrions into Corcovado without advance reservations so if you plan to hike in the park be sure and let your lodging know when you book.

Whether you're better off near Carate or near Drake Bay depends on what you are hpoing to do. Both are very isolated communities. From all Drake Bay lodging it easy to take day hikes at San Pedrillo or the Sirena station inside Corcovado National Park. Access is by open boat. You can also take easy 1/2 day trips to Cano Island for snorkeling. There's a night hike with the Bug Lady that is highly recommended but requires advance reservations at Drake Bay lodgings.

By contrast the Lookout Inn and Luna Lodge both have gorgeous settings but fewer offiste activities although you could hike in the area, go kayaking or even check out gold panning! Beautiful peaceful settings but much harder to get any distance into Corcovado.

If you're looking for affordable lodging near Drake Bay I can also highly recommend Las Caletas which has the advanatge of being located above a great swimming beach and the service was very good.

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corcovado trip in late April-suggestions?

budget question

la leona is fine and also casa corcovado

it is a matter of budget, operations in that area tend to be expensive

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corcovado trip in late April-suggestions?

Another good place in Drake Bay is Finca Maresia. It's 2km from the water, but the cabins are beautiful and a real bargain. We booked all of our ground transport and tours through them when we stayed there. It's not remote at all so long as you don't mind riding in small planes.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corcovado trip in late April-suggestions?

In Carate I liek to recommend ...ISEAMI lodge...simple ...simple place...about $ 85.00 per person including 3 meals and room...only problem...so many monkies in the morning and the macaws flying all over thje place...they can be noisy...just kidding not problem at all...but the macaws and monkies are there for real!

roadadvisor

marietta , Ga
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corcovado trip in late April-suggestions?

Thank you so much - the info is very helpful

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corcovado trip in late April-suggestions?

Not sure of your dates but I'm staying at finca maresia and am lookin for someone/people to share a photography tour that is on April 11th. It is based in sirena so will be good for wildlife. Let me know if ur keen

Illinois
Level Contributor
105 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corcovado trip in late April-suggestions?

Agree with Racandee. We just returned from Drakes Bay and stayed 5 nights at Finca Maresia. From the hammock on our deck we watched howlers and toucans daily. Juan, the owner, was great in arranging activities. He's also a great chef.

8. Re: Corcovado trip in late April-suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, October 23, 2012