We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is going to the Osa Peninsula in June a good idea ?

Chicago, IL
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is going to the Osa Peninsula in June a good idea ?

We are going to Costa Rica for about 12 nights, but based on research and reviews from other people, we want to spend maybe 5 days around the Osa Peninsula? We were thinking of flying into Bahia Drake, maybe spend a day at Isla del Cano and then start trekking into Corcovado. We would then hike for a couple days and then come out at Carate and eventually spend the last day around Puerto Jimenez and then fly back to San Jose from there. I am wondering if you can actually hike from Bahia Drake all the way through to Carate? Some sources I have read say it is dangerous or impossible during this time of year. If that is case, how would I get across to Carate without going all the way around, especially without a car at our disposal? Are the chances pretty good that the hike form San Pedrillo to Sirena will be impossible? Would it be a better idea to fly directly to Puerto Jimenez and come into the park from the East? It just sounds like there is a lot to do around Bahia Drake. Any help would be much appreciated.

san jose
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is going to the Osa Peninsula in June a good idea ?

thats more than a hike , just hire a boat to take you ¡

San Isidro de El...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is going to the Osa Peninsula in June a good idea ?

You can hire someone to take you via the Rincon road to Puerto Jimenez. You can also fly between Bahia Drake and PJ.

That hike can be tricky even during the dry season. there are some river crossings that do have crocs. Even during the dry season you have to time your hike between Sirena and Carate because of the higher water during high tide. These people can give you some great info.

http://www.soldeosa.com/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is going to the Osa Peninsula in June a good idea ?

I'm going to address both of your Corcovado postings here.

For both guided service and independent logistics, I recommend Mike Boston's Osa Aventura (www.osaaventura.com) outfit. Website has good info on the park, logistics, routes, etc to get you started. Also good info at the soldeosa.com link posted by CRT above, and area lodgings can usually hook you up too.

A really nice circuit that's doable independently with some advance legwork is from the Los Patos station down to Sirena in one day, overnight at one or two nights at Sirena (only station with advance reserve bunk and meals -- the others are camping and BYO only), then hike out to La Leona/Carate. From Drake you can get a dawn 4x4 taxi across to Rincon and down to the start if road conditions allow (ask lodge/outfitter). Otherwise it's accessible from Puerto Jimenez via La Palma with some combination of taxi/bus/hiking/horse. The hike from Sirena to La Leona has to be timed for a river crossing and it's also wise to avoid the hottest part of the day as much of that leg is exposed on the beach. From La Leona it's another mile or so to the road at Carate where you have two tent camps and some basic lodging to choose from, plus a regular schedule shared taxi service each day to Pto Jimenez.

I haven't been to the San Pedrillo station, accessible from Drake Bay by boat, but I understand it's beautiful there and also something like an intense 14 hour hike with multiple river crossings to Sirena. Not sure when in the rainy season it becomes inaccessible. You can also get to Sirena by boat charter from Drake Bay.

Los Angeles...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is going to the Osa Peninsula in June a good idea ?

I'm thinking of being there for 4 days last few days of May, and i'm getting a bit weary as people are telling me to fly in/out by 10 am ..or otherwise things get impassable and/or cancelled.

Now... I was thinking of staying in Drake Bay and kanoeing/snorkeling... but is ANYTHING going to be possible to do if it rains from 10am until 5am and our lodge is by the river? :-X

Osa Peninsula
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Is going to the Osa Peninsula in June a good idea ?

Bahia Drake will be fine at that time of year. Obviously, use your own judgement when deciding whether or not to visit the area. Hiking to Carate is possible at that time of year. However, it is at the desposition of the park administration. Unfortunately, there are no gaurantees at this time of year.

If you need a place to stay, let us know. We run an Biological Reserve in the area. We are an hours walk from Corcovado and immersed in lush rainforest. Campanario Biological Station.

Page
Level Contributor
18 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is going to the Osa Peninsula in June a good idea ?

I have been to the Osa in March and it is truly beautiful. However I understand from May to October is the is the rainy season and many of the roads are not passable and hiking in the Park is very challenging.

7. Re: Is going to the Osa Peninsula in June a good idea ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 01, 2009