We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging in Osa and rest of itinerary

Cochranville...
Level Contributor
156 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging in Osa and rest of itinerary

This site has been invaluable in planning our first trip to CR, so thank you all so much! We have gone from doing a package deal, to using an agent, to now I'm thinking we can pull it all off and do the whole trip our selves thanks to the comments on the forums here....so I just need some more advise:

We're going from 4/27 to 5/5 or 5/6, so that gives us 10 days max. Arenal and Osa are the two main areas we'd like to see and my husband really wants some "down time to relax", so I was given the recommendation to end at Si Como No in Manual Antonio by a good friend of mine who was in Costa Rica last year.

So, with that in mind, here is what I'm planning:

Day 1 (Fri) arrive San Jose around 2pm and go right to Arenal. So, here's my first question - it looks like we can arrange a private transfer to arenal for about $120.00 each way. Would it make more sense to rent a car for this portion? It really is the only portion of the trip we would need a car. I found the transfer info on arenal.net. Here we were considering Arenal Springs Hotel? Recommendations?

Day 2 and 3 in Arenal.

Day 4 we'd transfer to Osa - here again I need some advise. First, do we leave Arenal on Sunday afternoon and stay in San Jose? Or can we leave early on Monday morning to make a morning flight to Osa? Second - I'm very torn as to which area of Osa to go to? We were all set on the Drake area to either Casa Corcovada or Aguila de Osa. But then in reading more, the Puerto Jiminez area sounds so nice as well. We'd stay at either Lapa Rios or Bosque del Cabo, Including travel, we'd be there from Monday through Thursday. When we were looking at the Drake area we thought the Cano Island and Corcovado tours that were included in the Lodge prices seemed to be cool. But now I'm torn. Thoughts?

Day 7 - transfer to Quepos - now, can we fly directly from either place in Osa to Quepos? It looks like from Puerto Jiminez that Nature Air does fly to Quepos, and I'm not sure if the included transportation at the Casa Corcovada or Aguila will get us there - we'd stay at Si Como No on Thurs, Fri and Sat.

Day 10 - fly from Quepos to San Jose to return home.

Is this all feasable? And if anyone would be so kind as to comment on the logistic of the travel between locations I'd really appreciate it. As well as the hotel selections. I'm not sure about the Arenal hotel choice.

Thank you so much....It seems like a big undertaking to plan this on our own, but with the help from here, I think we can do it!

Surcos Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours
Aventuras Tropicales Golfo Dulce
Sightseeing Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours
San Isidro del...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging in Osa and rest of itinerary

How about flying to Quepos from Arenal and then Quepos to Puerto Jimenez. If your husband wants some downtime this might be the place. Logistically it would make more sense. Even going to Drake Bay instead of PJ would be easier.

Manuel Antonio has lots of things to do. Bosque del Cabo is a place where nature comes to you. You have the option of hiking or just strolling if the need to move strikes you or you can just veg by the pool or on your deck in the hammock. Either way the birds and monkeys will entertain you without much effort.

Alternatively you could go to Drake Bay via Palmar Sur from Quepos. Casa Corcovado is high on my list of places to stay but this would be a more active location. Cano Island was a nice day trip. Aguila looked very nice. It is near La Paloma where we stayed. La Paloma was very nice. We stayed in a rancho. We didn't go into Corcovado from that direction but did do a lot of hiking in the area. Very pretty.

I can't really say one is better than the other because they are different and each place has its own special reason for visiting. You just have to look into yourself and decide which one offers more of what you are looking for. If all else fails...draw straws. You are a winner either way.

I can't help on the Arenal hotel much. I have stayed at the Paraiso and the Observatory Lodge. Haven't heard much about Arenal Springs.

You can certainly do it all yourself or have one of the lodges help you with just the airfare. We often just have Bosque make the flight arrangements to get us there. We actually like this because they will confirm the flight and let us know of any changes. I am sure Aguila and CC would do the same. They could possibly make all the arrangements from Arenal to Quepos to Puerto Jimenez/Palmar Sur. There have been a lot of people talking about going to Bosque in March. Hopefully by April it will be letting up a little. I would check there first if you think you do want to stay there to be sure there is availability. That might decide your location for you.

2. Re: Lodging in Osa and rest of itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, August 24, 2009