We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging similar to BDC?

Colorado
Level Contributor
176 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging similar to BDC?

We stayed at Bosque del Cabo four years ago and LOVED it. We'd like to return to the Osa Peninsula, but we'd like a location closer to Corcovado for this visit. Is Drake Bay the correct location for proximity to the park? BDC was a destination in and of itself and we'd like to explore Corcovado and dive at Cano Island this time. We're looking for something that is similar to BDC where you can sit on a private balcony and see wildlife. We loved sitting on our balcony and seeing monkeys in the trees. Do the hotels in Drake Bay have monkeys nearby or do we need to do something more remote like La Paloma or Casa Corcovado? Which areas should I look at to see lots of wildlife from our room? We don't want to hear city noise, just nature.

We'd prefer something that does offer ceiling fans. Any areas or properties I should look at? In terms of budget, we'd like to keep it at $350 or less per night for the room and food. We're willing to go higher, if needed. Location is more important to us than amenities.

Thank you.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,147 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging similar to BDC?

Not being there personally but Copa de Arbol has been mentioned several times.

There is no city or even village noise in Drake Bay. As for observing wildlife from your balcony, I have been able to do so even while staying at any place so far in Costa Rica. Not always monkeys but birds for sure.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,231 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging similar to BDC?

I have been to Copa de Arbol, and yes that is where you want to be. There are trails on the property in addition to th public trails. While we were there, a wild boar and it's offspring were walking through the property almost every day.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lodging similar to BDC?

There are several very high end places in Drake (that make BdC look moderately priced) including the places you have mentioned.

I'm not sure how many places offer quite the balcony view of wildlife you're seeking though--most places on Drake Bay are very close to the water, with a rather steep drop down, whereas at BdC there was a good deal of forest between the cabanas and the sea, so you actually had a lot of trees to look out over.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lodging similar to BDC?

Agree with Xelas...Cana Tico and RACANDEE...Drakes Bay is waiting for you...if that bay was good for Sir Francis Drake now days is good for any body...GO FOR IT!

roadadvisor

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lodging similar to BDC?

I heard a lot about Hotel Copa de Arbol, Hotel Las Caletas, Hotel La Paloma Lodge, Hotel Aguila de Osa, Hotel Casa Corcovado, Hotel Jinetes de Osa and Hotel Pirate Cove. They look pretty good and have an amazing view. Is important you to know that theres only 2 ways to get the flying or bote, the most quickly way is by air and the view is unique... you can see a coast called Bahía Ballena and you can see a whale tail and also is the Golfo Dulce looks like glaciers. You cant see this places by boat, so my recomedation is takin a plane theres a big company called Sansa have and amazing service and the experencie is one in a live time.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,555 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lodging similar to BDC?

You can get to Drakes by ca hopefully r...4x4...and hopefully during dry season...I visit my farm there very often!

roadadvisor

7. Re: Lodging similar to BDC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 16, 2015