We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lsst minute help with 6 day itinerary in Osa

Philadelphia, US
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Lsst minute help with 6 day itinerary in Osa

Hello peeps,

I am flying into SJO on the 24th morning around 10 am and will have 6.5 days in CR flying back to NYC on 30th evening out of SJO.

I really want to go to Osa and hike but seeing it to be end of rainy season and no reservations made yet need some help with my trip rough plan.

Day 1 - fly into SJO and get to Manuel Antonio NP by road - spend evening and take night hike. Would flying into Quepos be better ?

Day 2 - Explore some park/beach in MA and try to get to DB by night (again need help with transport as I won't rent a car).

Is this doable if not any alternative to first two days before getting to Drake Bay ?

Day 3 - Walk around DB area for some short nature hike and chill.

Day 4 - Boat in and out of Corcovado - since I get to Sirena early morning what are the best trails around - can I get a guide once at the ranger station/join a group.

Day 5 - DB to Puerto Jimenez - best way to get there ? If I get to PJ early during day can do the sunset dolphin and algae watching tour.

Day 6 - From PJ do a day trip to Cabo Mataplo and upto Carate and come back to PJ for night

Day 7 - From PJ get to Golfito to take the 1:40 pm flight to SJO.

I understand that this is a little tight of a plan and any help from your expertise will be greatly appreciated !

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,040 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lsst minute help with 6 day itinerary in Osa

A little tight is an understatement here. Since Osa is your prime target you should increase your time spent there. So you should fly to Osa as soon as your international flight allows you. Getting between Drake Bay and Puerto Jimenez is tricky so I would switch them around.

Get to SJO, first available flight to Puerto Jimenez. Stay 2-3 days. Fly to Drake Bay. Stay rest of your time here. Fly Drake Bay to San Jose Pavas.airport (same flight originating in Golfito).

Edited: 3:20 am, November 19, 2013
Puerto Jimenez...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lsst minute help with 6 day itinerary in Osa

You will need to make your park reservations, including guide, before you head to Sirena. All guides travel to Sirena with their clients, so the chances of "picking up" a guide in Sirena are just about none. Your lodging in Drake Bay should be able to assist you with these details.

Pura Vida,

Ballardo

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lsst minute help with 6 day itinerary in Osa

Stick with either Puerto Jimenez or Drake--too little time to be hopping all over the place. Skip Manuel Antonio in either scenario.

Pick a location (PJ or DB), book a lodge, pick internal flights. As Jaguardman noted, boat and guide arrangements can be made via your lodge in DB--just ask them to take care of it. You can get your park permits via the Sol de osa website--see the bottom of this webpage:

http://www.soldeosa.com/corcovado%20park.htm

Philadelphia, US
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lsst minute help with 6 day itinerary in Osa

Thanks for your inputs ... yeah decided it would be better to spend all 6 days in Osa

Since the earliest flight out of SJO is the 12:30 pm to Golfito on TACA looks like I can buy a return trip for my dates :) However I do not see any available internal flight betweem DB and PJ ... is there any other road way to get there if not the hike via Sirena ? How are the trek conditions now with the rains ?

Also would appreciate best things to do while in both places to see most of wildlife with budget lodging ?

Thanks !

Edited: 11:05 pm, November 19, 2013
Philadelphia, US
Level Contributor
88 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Lsst minute help with 6 day itinerary in Osa

Also if I fly into Golfito from SJO around 1:30 pm is there any way I can get to DB same day ? If so how ?

Once I get to DB and work out with lodge to boat in to Corcovado with permits and decide to stay for the night how can I book a guide to take me from Sirena to Carate next day ? It will be more feasible this way as I have just a backpack (will be awesome if I get dorm bed but can also do hammock camping bringing my own food in)

I can then stay in PJ 2-3 days and take flight back out of Golfito !

Thanks

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,040 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lsst minute help with 6 day itinerary in Osa

That is why I have suggested you to fly first to Puerto Jimenez as the flight (Nature Air) does not take passengers in DB to PJ leg, however it does take passengers for PJ to DB leg, according to their web site. Regular internal flights in Costa Rica are done by Nature Air and Sansa Air, check their relevant web sites for more about flights, if in doubt send them an email.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lsst minute help with 6 day itinerary in Osa

Having DB in the itinerary seems to be complicating things unnecessarily. You seem to have a flight back from Golfito that works well for you, so why not start by flying into PJ (or Golfito), get to Sirena from there (the Sol de Osa link above will explain the hike and transport-to-trailhead options), and back out via Carate, PJ and ferry to Golfito? That would also give you the option to leave unnecessary weight in PJ while you hike.

8. Re: Lsst minute help with 6 day itinerary in Osa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, November 23, 2014