We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best "genuine" ecolodge in Osa?

NY, NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best "genuine" ecolodge in Osa?

I'm looking at a week-long trip in Osa in August (yes I know it is the "green season") and would like some lodge recommendations -- I've been looking at Lapa Rios and the reviews are great. I've traveled in Costa Rica before (Monteverde) as well as elsewhere in Central and South America, primarily staying in more remote ecolodges where the focus is on birding/ecology rather than comfort. In this case I'm looking for a comfortable place to stay as well, but want to make sure that the tours aren't 'dumbed down' for tourists who have never been to a rainforest before. What's my best bet in Osa?

If anyone thinks it's a really BAD time to go in August, I'd like to hear that as well...

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,995 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best "genuine" ecolodge in Osa?

I would be one thinking this is a really bad time to visit... The further south you go here the wetter it gets, take a look at this rainfall map costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html

IMO I would not go that time of year.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,995 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best "genuine" ecolodge in Osa?

Lapa Rios or Bosque del Cabo are both pretty awesome to answer the first question.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best "genuine" ecolodge in Osa?

Generally, someone who's going to the Osa is pretty motivated by wildlife and has done their research. So, just about any remote ecolodge is going to have great wildlife using very good guides.

You certainly can't go wrong with the two Incabod mentioned.

I would add a couple of notes:

For birds in particular, the best place to go is apparently Bosque del Rio Tigre. More rustic than the luxury places, but if you have specific species of birds you need to see, that appears to be the place. We're there for one night next February.

Also, if you're looking for the best of the best of wildlife, you'll want to visit Corcovado.

Edited: 4:42 pm, June 05, 2012
Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
65 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best "genuine" ecolodge in Osa?

We also choose to visit Osa area in green season. Less tourists, our #1 reason. South Osa area Puerto Jimenez to area resorts can be very difficult if not some days impossible to get to due to rapid and very deep rivers suddenly! that need to be crossed. Even the largest trucks are not able to cross at times.

I would suggest the Osa from the Drake Bay area as a better option in August only for that reason. Both areas have very upscale resorts if that is what you are looking for, and the tours from both areas are exceptional,authentic and very very good values. If interested contact me and I will be happy to give you some suggestions. Don't let the rain scare you, gorgeous in the rain, just be careful and cautious when booking and read read read forums and trip advisor.

Edited: 4:51 pm, June 05, 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best "genuine" ecolodge in Osa?

100% agree with fiesty...the small creecks on the road from Puerto Jimenez to Carate in matter of minutes with some heavy rain can turn into a dangerous river to try to cross...PLEASE do not even try if you are no sure....to sad but during rainy season around Osa...some accidents always happen at river crossings...

Wait until the river is down...if does not just turna around and find a place to spend the night...same situation going to Drake!

Green season is maybe the best time to see Osa...but PLEASE common sense and be extra carefulll...it is a real world down there...no Disneyland kind of land!

roadadvisor

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best "genuine" ecolodge in Osa?

Drake Bay accomodations generally aren't as good for wildlife as Matapalo ones, however. They offer better access to Sirena (via boat) which certainly makes up for the fact.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
362 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best "genuine" ecolodge in Osa?

The Osa in August is fine, if you don't mind some rain in the afternoons and/or evenings. The mornings were usually sunny and beautiful when we there at that time of year. I would choose Bosque because they have many great trails which you can hike on your own. At Lapa Rios I believe you have to go with a guide on most trails, though I have heard that there is one self-guided trail. The wildlife at both places is exceptional and I wouldn't say it was necessary to go to Corcovado, as you'll see lots of birds and animals there, though Corcovado is well worth it if you have the time. Bosque has excellent guides for the tours they do give i.e. Philip (for primary rainforest tour and evening tour) and Carlos (early morning birding tour). Both lodges are nature lodges which practice ecological sustainability. They are very comfortable but not fancy, nor are they too rustic. Buena suerte!

NY, NY
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best "genuine" ecolodge in Osa?

Thanks for the tips, everyone! We're very interested in getting ourselves to Osa from San Jose in a Jeep, and I hadn't even though of road conditions in the rain -- should have, as we've had similar troubles in the past. Something new to consider.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best "genuine" ecolodge in Osa?

Get ready for at least 6 hours from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez and about 1.5 to Carate,,,,45 minutes to Lapa Rios...great the best option is a nice strong 4x4!!!

roadadvisor

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best "genuine" ecolodge in Osa?

If you're committed to traveling in August, I would fly in or not do it at all.