We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do most of teh tourist attractions take Credit Cards?

Bardstown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
do most of teh tourist attractions take Credit Cards?

I like the idea of using credit cards over cash, and want to be sure most of the attractions will take them. I am meaning such attractions as canopy tours, the volcano tours, white river rafting tours, and the such. And if they take them, will they do them in US dollars, or in their own currency. I was advised by my Credit card company to try to not use their currency, or their will be a 3% fee attached to it.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: do most of teh tourist attractions take Credit Cards?

Most tours will take credit cards. You can check them on the internet or ask once you are here. As for US dollars or colones, I think it depends. You could always make a reservation ahead of time using your credit card and then pay cash for the tour, asking for any possible discount and avoiding any credit card fees.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 3% fee. If you end up putting $150 worth of tours on your credit card, that would amount to $4.50, for example.

There are lots of ATM's in Costa Rica so many people just use an ATM every few days or just before going on an excursion to withdraw some cash.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: do most of teh tourist attractions take Credit Cards?

Agree most tours will take credit cards but ask before. If you purchase tours direct cash (rather than trough your hotel or tour agency) many times you can get a discount based on the company not having to pay commisions to third parties and credit card fees charged to the tour. This can save you between 15% to 20%.

Some have facilities to charge your credit card in USD others in Colones, if you are charged in Colones this will go on your banks exchange rate plus foreighn transaction fee.

Cash machines are everywere and you can normaly withdraw in Colones or USD. As Hattie always sais if a price is in USD pay in Dollars and vice versa.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: do most of teh tourist attractions take Credit Cards?

Do not worry...CC are well accepted all over...

roadadisor

Bardstown, Kentucky
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: do most of teh tourist attractions take Credit Cards?

Thanks. I guess it doesn't add up to a lot of money, does it..lol.

Denver
Level Contributor
15 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: do most of teh tourist attractions take Credit Cards?

CCs are accepted nearly everywhere, but we learned that some companies will show you the charge in us dollars, then tell you they have to convert to colones first before charging your card. Their exchage rates they use are quite liberal, then that rate is converted to US dollars again when they charge it, with a more normal rate. Meaning, you'd have gotten a much better price if you had paid in cash to begin with. I'm guessing this is a pretty common way to skim off a little xtra cash.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: do most of teh tourist attractions take Credit Cards?

Sometimes it's just that a business has to protect themselves from a rapidly changing exchange rate. It can change in a matter of hours. So by using an exchange rate a few colones different from the bank, they can avoid the possibility of losing anything. Of course, paying cash is always the easiest and you might get a better price - but - you might not. It just depends on what you are paying for.

7. Re: do most of teh tourist attractions take Credit Cards?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, February 19, 2013