We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bosque Del Cabo, El Remanso, or Lapa Rios???

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
173 posts
20 reviews
Bosque Del Cabo, El Remanso, or Lapa Rios???

Can someone please help me distinquish between these hotels? All are pretty pricey and Lapa Rios looks the nicest (followed by Bosque, then El Remanso). I really want to be ACTIVE on my vacation (and see LOTS of wildlife) and have as FEW kids/families as possible.

What is the difference between these hotels? Thanks!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
371 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Bosque Del Cabo, El Remanso, or Lapa Rios???

Bosque del Cabo has many excellent, well-maintained hiking trails through primary and secondary rainforest, which you can go on without a guide, though you can do the four hour guided hike in the morning or the one hour evening one with Philip, the on-site biologist...both of which are very interesting and informative. You can also do the early morning birding hike, usually with Carlos, who is also well-versed in his subject. I am not sure that you can go on self-guided hikes at Lapa Rios, and I don't believe they have as many trails, though it is also a lovely spot. I have not been to El Remanso, though have checked it out on-line...I think the cabinas, the main lodge, and the grounds are not nearly as nice as BdC, though that's just one person's opinion. If you want to be really active and see LOTS, my choice would be BdC. We've seen sloths, peccaries, all four types of monkeys, lots of macaws and toucans, an armadillo, snakes, morphos, red-eyed tree frogs, poison arrow frogs, coatis, iguanas, and plenty of other birds and insects...on the grounds and on the great hiking trails. Buena suerte!

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
264 reviews
2. Re: Bosque Del Cabo, El Remanso, or Lapa Rios???

Well they all get great reviews, but having been to BdC, I can vouch that it's a great place for hiking and seeing wildlife. They have wonderfully maintained trails. We've had wildlife sightings similar to osalife's - all 4 kinds of monkeys, toucans, sloths, and even an anteater. We had great sightings from the front porch of our cabin and wonderful views of the water. BdC has communal dinners where you all eat together and share stories of your day and wildlife sightings. Do they all have that? We loved our birding tour with Carlos and learned a lot from Phillip. Lapa Rios has always struck me as a romantic spot, but maybe someone else can vouch for that.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,506 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Bosque Del Cabo, El Remanso, or Lapa Rios???

They are in the same general vicinity so you are likely to see many of the same wildlife. However, your chances of seeing wildlife on the trails at BDC I would consider to be greater since for one, you can hike them anytime you want vs. Lapa Rios where you have to take one of their guides, and two, there are more trails both in number and length at BDC vs. El Remanso. I believe they are all family friendly places. That said, all together I've spent 17 nights at BDC and have seen very few children there, especially under the tween age. During regular school breaks this might increase.

4. Re: Bosque Del Cabo, El Remanso, or Lapa Rios???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, May 11, 2010