We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights in March 2008 (also posted in main CR forum)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Flights in March 2008 (also posted in main CR forum)

I'm planning a trip from San Francisco to the Osa penninsula in March 2008, and I can't decide if I should buy tickets (to San Jose) this far ahead of time.

Right now, the best I can find for a reasonable flight schedule is around $750 a person. With flghts from hell (red eyes, multiple stops, 10+ hour layovers etc) I've gotten them down to about $590 a person.

One thing I noticed is that absolutely no one is offering travel deals 9 months out. Right now, all the best fares that I'm seeing are for travel in the fall, anywhere from $260-400 for round trip flights from the west coast. Under normal circumstances, I would simply wait.

But with gas prices skyrocketing, I'm afraid that the specials/deal prices in 6 months might be just as high as the "normal" prices right now.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations?

I've been scouring the following websites for pricing...

Actual airlines: US Airways, AA, Mexicana, Continental, Taca, and a couple others

Metasearch sites: Kayak, Sidestep, Vayama, Bookingbuddy, etc

Actual booking sites: Priceline, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheapoair, Intratours and a couple others

Deal sites: Travelzoo, SmarterTravel, Fatwallet forumns.

Any others I should be checking?

(apologies to anyone who read this in both forums, I'd been researching mostly in the Osa forums, but also wanted to post in the main forum because I feel if might be more widely read)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights in March 2008 (also posted in main CR forum)

Oops! Big typo...Supposed to say March 2009!!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights in March 2008 (also posted in main CR forum)

Have you considered flying out of a different airport?

LAX flights start at $453.

If you want to see New York for a night, tickets start at $359 for nonstop service and $379 for nonstop service.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,422 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights in March 2008 (also posted in main CR forum)

Buy tickets now. Airfares are only going to head up as fuel prices cause havoc for the airlines. You can't compare airfares in low season (May to November) with what they'll charge in high season (December through Easter). If you're planning Easter week you should book airfare and hotels soon or you might not get your 1st 2nd or 3rd choice.

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights in March 2008 (also posted in main CR forum)

Wait a bit.

That is about as high as prices get out of the SFO area--maybe the worst I've seen.

You should be able to do this for around $400 a person.

nyc
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights in March 2008 (also posted in main CR forum)

on orbitx you can do a trip deal detector which will advise you when a ticket gets to a certain price. i would try that. youve got a lot of time, dont rush.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights in March 2008 (also posted in main CR forum)

Thanks for all the advice! I did check farecompare, which give you historical data on flight prices, and last March, flights were under $350.

I think I will wait a bit, and if they start to climb, I can go ahead and buy them.

$750 just seems so high, especially when tickets on Sansa and Nature Air down to the Osa are are running about $200-250 right now!

USA
Level Contributor
2,214 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights in March 2008 (also posted in main CR forum)

I have 5 members in my family so I have learned to search and search for fares over the years. I've been pretty successful our of Washington DC over the past five years--$300 total R/T to London, $300 total R/T to Costa Rica, $125 R/T to Seattle, $143 R/T to San Francisco.

I've learned the secret is to look over time and keep your options open. That being said, you should be able to get to SJO from SFO or OAK or SJC during March of 2009 for $300 to $400 if you buy at the right time. Just keep looking.

A good time to look is late in the fiscal quarter or fiscal year when airlines may need to raise some cash to make their books look better to the Stockholders. That is when I have always found my best deals. On the other hand, the fares for off season travel seem to be highest DURING high travel seasons. Don't be too quick to make your purchase while the airlines are busy. Wait for a slow period (e.g. Novemeber) to make your purchase if you need to. (NOTE--I am not saying "travel in November", I am saying "purchase in November." You need to be making your plans when others are not lined up trying to book tickets.

At least wait until after 15 September to make your purchase--fares usually start going down then for trips the following year.

(Also--you aren't trying to book all the way through to Osa on one ticket are you? That will really raise your costs. Better to fly to SJO and stay a night, then take Nature Air to you destination. Nature Air has advance purchase tickets from San Jose Pavas at very good prices.

North Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
945 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights in March 2008 (also posted in main CR forum)

I don't know how easy it would be for you to fly out of LAX, but you could go to Spirit Airlines website and sign up for email notification of their fare sales. Right now, they are offering fares from LAX to SJO with one stop for about $420 RT. That usually will be halved if they are having a sale. Other airlines also will have some better fares in the future. It took me 3 months of watching to nab the cheapo fares we got this year from Miami to SJO ($220 RT) on American; took me about 5 months of watching to nab fares a couple of years ago to Venice Italy from West Palm Beach which were cheap for then ($625 RT) on US Air. So, really, if you are patient and keep looking, I think fares will come down in November - besides the last quarter deal, it will be after the election; and prices for everything seem to settle down then.

Level Contributor
173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights in March 2008 (also posted in main CR forum)

Flights from Las Vegas, NV to either San Jose or Liberia as of yesterday were $444 rt.

10. Re: Flights in March 2008 (also posted in main CR forum)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, October 06, 2009