We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bosque del cabo: activities for dad, 16 y/o son 19 y/o daugh

nutmeg state
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
bosque del cabo: activities for dad, 16 y/o son 19 y/o daugh

first time to c.r. with my 16 yr son and 19 yr daughter. both semi-adventurous. there from 7/19-7/31.

after 5 days at volcan arenal, flying sansa to puerto jiminez to spend the 24th to 30th at Bosque del Cabo.

suggestions for activities in Osa area greatly appreciated. will have a vehicle there. planning on hikes, swimming, snorkeling. golfo dulce seems least dangerous. how practical to go to island reserve, isla del cano, for snorkeling? getting confused and concerned!! understand that just relaxing has its place too! should we bring our own snorkel gear? many thanks!!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bosque del cabo: activities for dad, 16 y/o son 19 y/o daugh

The snorkeling in CR isn't all that great so I wouldn't bring your own gear, especially with the weight limit on the inter CR flights. Cano Island would make for an extremely long day trip and pretty pricey. I would just take advantage of all the activites offered at Bosque, you'll find plenty to keep busy. All of the trails are well maintained and interesting, plenty of wildlife everywhere, you could stay busy just hiking them for several days alone. A great hike actually is just walking up the driveway in the early morning, up to the main PJ road and back, in a short period I passed spider monkeys, howler monkeys, agoutis, coatis, army ants and squirrel monkeys. The Golfo Dulce trail is one of my gaves, plan a pick-up with the front desk so you can have plenty of time to enjoy one of the 3 beaches at the bottom (the 3rd is the best/calmest).

The Primary Tour with Phillip is a must do, it's long (4 hours) but very easy, it's mostly talking - you'll be amazed at the information overload he gives you. Another tour that is great is the horseback riding tour. It's about 15 minutes away, Miguel is a local and will lead you thru the forest til you end up at the beach (he speaks very little English btw). The pre-dinner night walk with Eduardo is also a great one, lots of frogs, snakes, spiders etc.

If you go off site, a great day trip offered is the animal sanctuary across the Golfo Dulce. It's expensive to go back into PJ, so I'd talk with others at the bar & dinner as everyone always discusses what they've done and are planning to do, so maybe you could pool together with others planning to do the same tour. Of course, relaxing at the pool bar with one of Jose's super drinks is always a great option as well!

Have a great trip, Bosque del Cabo is a fantastic place, you will have a wonderful time.

San Isidro del...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bosque del cabo: activities for dad, 16 y/o son 19 y/o daugh

I am a former nutmeger. Boy do I miss the good Italian food around New Haven. I may go back to visit family next month.

To drive to the side of the Osa where you can go to Cano Island would be a loooong day. Not recommended.

How about some surfing lessons? Rapelling a waterfall? You can drive down to Carate and hike in Corcovado although I personally think you will see more wildlife at Bosque with much less effort. Just hiking the trails there can take several days. Plenty of off site things to down out of Puerto Jimenez. Sea kayaking? All fun.

Hopefully the roads will be in better shape by the time you get there. They were horrible a few weeks ago but they were working on them.

nutmeg state
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bosque del cabo: activities for dad, 16 y/o son 19 y/o daugh

new haven awaits your return to the best pizza this side of rome at pepe's! I will leave the prescription face mask at home. eats up 10% of my weight limit on sansa arilines! at the age of double nickel I am reluctant to surf or rapel. I can snorkel for 6 hours during the day and another 2 at night but will postpone til next trip. will check out the p.j. options and see what the boys at BdelC recommend. ps pizza on me when you get back here! great spinach pizza in wethersfield at vito's that will rival anyone's! constitutionally yours, steve

San Isidro del...
Level Contributor
938 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bosque del cabo: activities for dad, 16 y/o son 19 y/o daugh

Escondido Trek kayaking in Puerto Jimenez is highly recommended for anyone. If you get lucky with a 3pm ish high tide you may get to kayak with dolphins following the Croc Bay fishermen in. We were able to last time and we saw turtles swimming as well. Even a double nickle can handle this trip.

Horses???? Really nice horseback ride out of BdC.

Some of the snorkeling trips are over on the other side of the Gulfo Dulce. If you drive to PJ and do the Sanctuary tour you might be able to combine it with a little snorkeling. Boat is going to be expensive-plan on at least $100 for that. Don't expect the Caribbean. You are right to leave the equipment home.

Pepe's!!!!!!!! Pepe's, Sally's, and fried dough pizzas, I am gaining weight just thinking about it.

If I fly I will fly into Hartford, may have to check out Vito's before heading out. I love ah-beets challenges.

5. Re: bosque del cabo: activities for dad, 16 y/o son 19 y/o daugh

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, September 05, 2009