We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Osa Peninsula
Search

Getting from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
36 reviews
32 helpful votes
Getting from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez
Save

Hi folks,

What's the best option to get from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez? Are local carriers reliable enough, or are we better off renting a 4-wheel drive from the airport in San Jose and doing the long drive back and forth. We are planning a 12 day trip in the Osa Peninsula in late December/early January.

I can't check flight costs this far in advance, but can anyone offer an estimate for the roundtrip flights from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez for that time of year?

Thanks!

37 replies to this topic
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
14,756 posts
75 reviews
192 helpful votes
1. Re: Getting from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez
Save

Getting to PJ: https:/… .

Also see "Getting Here" from a hotel there: http://www.cabinasjimenez.com/our-location/ .

2 daily shared shuttles: https:/… .

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
10,926 posts
21 reviews
50 helpful votes
2. Re: Getting from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez
Save

We took a Blanco Lobo bus. It leaves from the San Carlos bus terminal in San Jose. San Carlos is also called Terminal Atlantico Norte. The Blanco Lobo ticket office was hidden in the back, up one flight of stairs. There are two daily buses to Puerto Jimenez, one at 8 am and one at noon. Cost: $14 (2015). The bus did not take the inland road but the coastal road (someone told us the inland road was closed) and took 7.5 hours including one short bathroom stop and one 20 minute stop so we could get a bite to eat.

1 post
3. Re: Getting from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez
Save

Hi how was the Blanco love bus? I am trying to decide between that or upgrading to a shared shuttle. The shuttle at the moment doesn't have enough passengers to make the trip. That could change, but any feedback on the Lobo Bus would be great. Did you pay in colones? did you need to pre buy a tix? I've read you need to get bus tickets a few hours in advance for longer distances.

Thanks for any info.. im a solo female traveler :)

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
59,242 posts
122 reviews
38 helpful votes
4. Re: Getting from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez
Save

You can take then bus from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez...good buses...long drive can be around 7 hours...but very scenic way.

If you like to see comercial adds ...check some web sites...

A lot of gret people like XETAS, Racandee, Mimsdaisy, etc...can give you great ideas based on first hand advice...basically that is what you need!

IMO having a car in Puerto Jimenez area...is the best...of course if you like to drive...

A lot of palces to visit...Matapalo, Carate, etc...even Drakes Bay!!

Answer mostly to chuleta!!

Even that Mariea can use some ...

roadadvisor 100% Costa Rica INDIAN / Native...even CYBER BULLIES hate that !!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
9,234 posts
150 reviews
127 helpful votes
5. Re: Getting from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez
Save

In my opinion, flying is the best way to get there. 1 hour instead of 1 day to get there.

Price, very roughly estimate at $~100 per person per way, i.e. $200 for round trip per person.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
59,242 posts
122 reviews
38 helpful votes
6. Re: Getting from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez
Save

Yes flying is good if you are a solo traveller...a lot better and safer than renting a car in this case again for a solo traveller!

roadadvsior 100% Costa Rica INDIAN / Native...even CYBER BULLIES hate that !!

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
23,190 posts
63 reviews
51 helpful votes
7. Re: Getting from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez
Save

Flying is the best way to get there ... but what are your plans for 12 days at Puerto Jimenez?! Becasue most probably you will want to rent a vehicle when at location, and if so, there are only 2 rental car companies to chose from. In that period they might already be fully booked. Renting a vehicle from San Jose will maximise your chances to get the vehicle, if one is needed.

Bristol
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Getting from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez
Save

Hi my friend and I also need to do this trip next march. I am tearing my hair out trying to find a shared shuttle. All the companies i speak to either say they don't do that route or don't get back to me.

We can't fly as the baggage weight is ridiculously low.

What shuttle service have you found please?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
23,190 posts
63 reviews
51 helpful votes
9. Re: Getting from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez
Save

The regular baggage weight included in the price is low. But you can always pay for extra weigth. People twice my weight are flying so why I could not fly twice the weight of my luggage?!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
59,242 posts
122 reviews
38 helpful votes
10. Re: Getting from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez
Save

Direct shuttles are hard to find...since they run according to the number of people...not enough they cancel the trip..

Yes luggae limit weigth can be a problem...but are smal planes..

Keep trying bus or plane...!! I like to drive in my case.

roadadvisor 100% Costa Rica INDIAN / Native...even CYBER BULLIES hate that !!

Reply to: Getting from San Jose to Puerto Jimenez
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted