We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma Expeditions---BE WARNED---

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Goodlettsville...
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Topic
Montezuma Expeditions---BE WARNED---

On February 10, 2014, my friend and I arrived at SJO for a 2 week visit. I had made arrangements with Montezuma Expeditions (ME) to pick us up at SJO, a night in Alajuela, and then transit to the Montezuma area. The agreed rate was $140.

Early on the 11th, the driver arrived a few minutes late. He asked for out money. I handed him an envelope with $140 cash in it. he counted it in front of us, and the others in the van, and only then allowed us into the van. All went well. No complaints.

When I got back to the USA, I discovered that they had charged my Visa card also $140. They make you give a Visa card number in case you are a no-show. I called Visa to protest. After a few weeks, they finally were able to contact ME, and were told that NO credit would be issued.

SO BE WARNED. THEY CHEATED US OUT OF $140. I'M TELLING EVERYBODY THAT I CAN, AS I HAVE A LOT OF FRIENDS IN THE TRAVEL BUSINESS IN CR. AGAIN...DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,446 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montezuma Expeditions---BE WARNED---

You mention calling Visa to protest the charge, but you don't say whether or not you tried to resolve it yourself with ME. If so, what was their response?

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montezuma Expeditions---BE WARNED---

Sounds like a bookkeeping error to me. I've used them many many times and seen nothing fishy and heard no complaints from others who used them multiple times.

I've never given them cash though, I've always given them my charge card when making the reservation and just had them bill the card.

I'd guess that I've only seen people pay cash on 50% of my van rides; I don't mean half the people pay cash I mean on half the rides I see no one pay cash and on others I see someone (but not everyone) pay the driver. I could not tell you if they get handed a receipt.

Sorry for your problems, hope they get this fixed for you.

Gary

Edited: 11:15 am, April 06, 2014
Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montezuma Expeditions---BE WARNED---

Did you ever contact them directly? Did they give you a receipt when you paid cash?

ME are usually pretty good communicators, when I did my reservation for Jan. 2014, they even contacted me back to find out if I was paying via that card or was just using it for the reservation (I must not have checked the box). It's my experience that when dealing with money they're pretty meticulous in Costa Rica.

I've used them many times without problems: paying in person when in Montezuma to go back to Alajuela (SJO Airport) or via the the internet (mail in form via charge card) and I've never had any problem. I think I've always paid via credit in person (unless maybe it was the end of the trip and I had an excess of cash) but they've always given me reciepts if a shuttle or activity (ATV or something).

I've also recommended them a million times in these forums and to others and no one has ever complained back to me.

Gary

4. Re: Montezuma Expeditions---BE WARNED---

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 27, 2015