We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Random - Can I buy contact lens solution in Montezuma?

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Random - Can I buy contact lens solution in Montezuma?

Sorry, this is a bit of a random question! I couldn't find any info on whether there is a pharmacy in Montezuma. I'm travelling with hand luggage only from London, UK and only staying one night in Alajuela before getting the bus & ferry to Montezuma. I've been to CR before, but not to Montezuma. Should I stock up on contact lens solution when I change planes in NY to be on the safe side? Or buy some in a pharmacy in Alajuela?

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Random - Can I buy contact lens solution in Montezuma?

There is no pharmacy in Montezuma. I'm there right now and just asked for you at the two grocery stores in town and neither had it, but the small one said they sometimes had it but they're out.

I'm 99% there is a pharmacy in Cobano about 7 or 10 km away. An easy bus ride. Depending on the buses you're taking, you might have to switch buses in Cobano anyways. There's a huge grocery store called Mega-Super(?) and that's pretty close to where I'm picturing the pharmacy.

There are definitely a few pharmacies in Alajuela. If you're staying in the actual town (and not the hotels next to the airport) I think there are two right by the park in the middle of town. There is also a mall near the airport that has a food court and movies and stores, they might have it if you're staying right next to the airport. I think there is a new Walmart near the airport somewhere.

Gary

Cobano Farmicia on map peninsuladenicoya.com/Imagenes/mapacobano.jpg

For a frame of reference the bus stop is near where it says "Lopez" and near the "o" in Banco.

Edited: 7:27 pm, January 04, 2014
Lindsay, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Random - Can I buy contact lens solution in Montezuma?

If you have the chance, stock up before you go, to make sure you get your usual brand. Contact solution is not subject to the 100ml plane rule, in Canada anyway, as long as it is in the SEALED container.

London, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Random - Can I buy contact lens solution in Montezuma?

Thank you for the helpful replies! I'll try to get to a pharmacy in Cobano when changing buses. I kind of forgot that Cobano is nearby - very handy :)

I will also try and buy some contact lens solution in the airport in New York, just so that I have enough for 4 weeks travel through Costa Rica & Nicaragua. I was under the impression that contact lens solution is subject to the 100 ml rule, but I'll check!

Thanks again!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Random - Can I buy contact lens solution in Montezuma?

The rules on contact lens solutions are different coming out of the UK. They need to abide by the 100ml rule unless they are accompanied by a prescription which solutions typically aren't in the UK.

I don't know what you use Dannie but my optician in London sells a range of travel packs so that may be a possibility.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Random - Can I buy contact lens solution in Montezuma?

I don't wear contacts. I stuck my head in both pharmacies in Cobano yesterday, they both had lens solution for cleaning and one had something that looks like drops for wearing contacts.

Gary

6. Re: Random - Can I buy contact lens solution in Montezuma?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 12, 2015