We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing in Montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Essex County, NJ
Level Contributor
17 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing in Montezuma

Hi folks -- we are considering a stay in Montezuma in February. I understand that the best surf in this area is over by Santa Teresa/Mal Pais, but can we count on decent waves near Montezuma (Playa Grande)? We really would like to stay in town, but want to make sure there will be some surf, as well.

Thanks much!

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing in Montezuma

It seems like the surfers go more north up the Montezuma beach (I'll estimate 30 minutes walk?), I used to see isolated surfers up that way but the last bunch of times I've seen larger groups. I think think that's also where Montezuma Proyecto teaches surf classes. Technically, it's probably north-east up the coastline.

There are some pretty rocky areas closer to Montezuma so heading away a bit is kind of necessary. I'm not sure of the actual beach names (sorry).

I don't surf, but I like to stop and watch them as I hike the beach to the waterfalls that empty into the ocean. There are the far falls, probably a 2 hour hike.

I'm not sure if there is a way to drive there, a better path or people just walk. It seems to my when I was last asking about surfing lessons, you didn't have to carry your board down there, so they must have a way to transport them...

2. Re: Surfing in Montezuma

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 22, 2014