We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for the right hotel for my Montezuma dream vacation

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
68 posts
31 reviews
Looking for the right hotel for my Montezuma dream vacation

I have decided to go to Montezuma sometime this fall, and will probably be traveling alone (I am a 42 year old woman). While not the most experienced world traveler, I am comfortable with budget hotels, diverse types of people and situations, and figuring out things on my own.

I have found a few hotels I am interested in, including Hotel Los Mangos, but would love any advice on the right place per my preferences, which are:

1. $60 or less per night (off season),

2. Relatively private with balcony or patio. Would do shared bathroom if everything else seemed a good fit.

3. Within comfortable walking distance to town, restaurants, and beaches. I will not be renting a car, and would prefer not more than about a 15 minute walk to different places that is not too steep or trecherous.

4. At least moderate wildlife presence. I would be bummed out if I didn't view some monkeys from my balcony.

5. I don't need a kitchen but a small fridge would be nice.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Looking for the right hotel for my Montezuma dream vacation

Check out Montezuma Pacific, it's my favorite cost effective place. It's got great reviews here on TA (if it doesn't pop up, look under B&B, although it's not a B&B). It got one room with a private balcony and a community balcony for the others. Rooms have small fridges (most are double the size of the tiny cube ones) and private bathrooms. Air Conditioning, hot showers, free wifi, huge digital safes and super nice staff. Free coffee and tea in the mornings. It's in town, but off to the side (no one knows where it is) on the opposite side of the church and parque so it's nice and quiet. I've stayed there 8+ times (twice I stayed for 3 weeks each visit).

They've got decent security, they keep someone sleeping down by the desk and they get up and look every time they here someone come through the locked door.

Monkeys are not unheard of there, but no promises. They come and go. Some times I see them many times there, sometimes not at all.

If you go, tell Carlos I sent you. He knows I'll give him a hard time next trip if you have give me any complaints :)

Gary

Edited: 6:01 pm, February 18, 2013
Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Looking for the right hotel for my Montezuma dream vacation

Comparing to Los Mangos (since you mentioned it), I think LM has a pool, but I don't think LM has A/C. I know I've met a few people on trips looking for other options in town (a few from LM) and they were more than happy when the moved (co$t and amenities).

Los Mangos is much larger, I think Montezuma Pacifico only has a dozen rooms.

Gary

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
67 reviews
3. Re: Looking for the right hotel for my Montezuma dream vacation

I'd definitely take a look at Amor del Mar.

A little over your budget but IMO well worth it, and also worth asking for a low season discount if you're staying for a few days.

http://www.amordemar.com/index.html

footprintscostarica.com/index.php?reg=22

Level Contributor
2 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: Looking for the right hotel for my Montezuma dream vacation

I'm am in Montezuma at the moment and can say without doubt that Amor de Mar is simply exquisite. It gets 5 stars from me on every level.

Edited: 3:18 pm, February 25, 2013
Level Contributor
2 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: Looking for the right hotel for my Montezuma dream vacation

I'm am in Montezuma at the moment and can say without doubt that Amos del Mar is simply exquisite. It gets 5 stars from me on every level.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: Looking for the right hotel for my Montezuma dream vacation

Barsiewars,

What are the prices they are charging to you right now? (Did you have reservations or show up?)

Web sites don't always reflect what they say to you when you get there and ask...

Thank you,

Gary

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Looking for the right hotel for my Montezuma dream vacation

We've booked a room (room #8) at Amor de Mar a couple of months ago or so, and will be there in a weeks time. Correspondance was fine and they sent my a form to fill out quoting the 110$ as the website said (per night) for two people + 13% tax.

Not sure about the walk-in prices though. But you could always write them and ask in case you're not sure about you arriving date.

Only heard good things about this place so far!

8. Re: Looking for the right hotel for my Montezuma dream vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 14, 2014