We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking along the beach at night to Ylang Ylang

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
vancouver, bc
Level Contributor
102 posts
Walking along the beach at night to Ylang Ylang

Is it safe to walk from town to Ylang Ylang at night?

Would like to stay at the Ylang Ylang for 3 nights, however am worried about getting from town to Ylang Ylang at night I am not sure if we want to feel like we have to stay at the hotel every night How safe is it? I keep reading mixed reviews about walking the beach at night, but I really like the idea of staying on the beach.

This is stopping me from booking and I know many other hotels are full or getting full. Any input from anyone who knows the area or has stayed there, is appreciated.

Six more weeks!!!! Can't wait.

LONG ISLAND,NY
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Walking along the beach at night to Ylang Ylang

Hello,

Was just in Montezuma last month and walked the beach to Ylang Ylang many times. It is very safe. BRING A FLASH LIGHT. If you are staying at Ylang Ylang they will loan you a flash light and its a powerful one too. I brought a small 6 inch one and found a pocket sized one worked just fine and went into my purse.

You can get a ride from the resort to town and back during certain hours I believe,but I would not worry about the safety on the beach. It is a very safe community and you will probably see lots of people walking and romancing while you stroll.

Enjoy Montezuma....I loved it!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,886 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Walking along the beach at night to Ylang Ylang

Two thoughts: The room rates at YlangYlnag include dinner so most folks stay in at night but in my experience walking the beach with flashlights is perfectly safe EXCEPT do not attempt this walk if it's raining. Those little creeks leading to the gulf turn into raging rapids after an hour of rain and it can be downright dangerous trying to hike back during or after a storm.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
45,086 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Walking along the beach at night to Ylang Ylang

Let me add...and try to do it with somebody else...

roadadvisor

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Walking along the beach at night to Ylang Ylang

I would say it is safe to walk to Ylang from town at night but not further. They have a security guard outside on the path. I would suggest to let reception know you are going into town and what time to expect you back. It also never harms to befriend the securiy guard & learn his name, so he can watch for you coming. . Yes, definitely take a flashlight - one of the headlamp types are ideal as they leave your hands free. As the tide allows, walk closer to the sea than the jungle, but once you get to the Ylang path, you are in hearing distance of the security guard. Just a precaution in the unlikely event something happens.

I would not let the walk deter you from staying there. If he watches out for you, the guard would no doubt really appreciate a discreet small tip. Good point about the rain, but the rain has pretty mch stopped now. But try not to put your feet in the first creek you cross, it's not very clean, and you can easily find a place to jumpt across - or wear waterproof shoes

Boston...
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Walking along the beach at night to Ylang Ylang

We stay elsewhere but make the hike up to Ylang Ylang a few times each trip because we love the food. The walk is totally fine. Bring a flash light. If the moon is full you don't even need it except for one. Maybe bring a friend too. Just because it can be a little scary in the parts of the path that go behind the little house that's right on the beach. Also we saw a snake there a few times, it was a harmless one, but you don't want to run into any wildlife in the dark unexpectedly!

vancouver, bc
Level Contributor
102 posts
6. Re: Walking along the beach at night to Ylang Ylang

Thanks everyone! I have booked at Ylang Ylang. At worst we stay at the hotel at night. We can see how we feel once we are there. We may be to tired at night to go anywhere, although thanks for the warning. I will watch for snakes! I won't expect snakes on a beach.

Anyone have any good suggestions for activities. We do plan on renting an ATV for a day. Can't wait. Four more weeks.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: Walking along the beach at night to Ylang Ylang

I agree with the others. We felt completely safe. Definitely best if you are with someone else and follow all the usual rules of not taking fancy cameras and jewelry, just as a precaution.

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Walking along the beach at night to Ylang Ylang

Activities

Horseback ride, Ziplining, Hike to the Montezuma waterfall, etc. ask at the hotel, they have a full offering

9. Re: Walking along the beach at night to Ylang Ylang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 24, 2013