We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ivan's House Scam?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Ivan's House Scam?

Hi -

In late March 2011 I booked Ivan's House in Montezuma through Humberto at reservations@ivanshouse.com. Just today I emailed to advise of our arrival time to be told that although we were sent reservation confirmations and paid for this place in April 2011, our reservations were cancelled (this from Humberto). Upon following up with Ivan, we are told that Humberto is fraudelently selling reservations for his house, and he is unable to honour them. Has anyone else had this experience? Beware! I will be contacting the folks here at tripadvisor to be alerted to this.

R

61. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, August 29, 2014
Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

bump

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

I'm bumping this up again because it's important right now for people looking for shared van shuttles, especially, to see this -- check out Post #10 in this thread which is a list of scammy websites created by the person referred to.

Note that transportation-costarica.com is one of them and is a ripoff of a reputable company -- transportationincostarica.com who has also suffered, like Ivan, from the scam.

A newer one not on the list is interbuscostarica.com which is a ripoff of interbusonline.com == the official Interbus website.

For those of you looking for shared van shuttle, be careful of these websites -- they are not legitimate and neither is thecostaricashuttle.com a ripoff of costaricashuttle.com

You see how scammers use a website name that is very close to the "real" one so if you are not aware, it's easy to get fooled.... and pay.... and be left standing and waiting.

Sadly, there is one person on this forum who has recommended a couple of these scammy websites and I can only hope that this information will help that person understand what they are doing since I am sure that person would not want to recommend any company that was not on the up and up.

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

Yea this needs to stay on page 1 for a while, at least until all this nonsense stops.

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
65. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

wow thanks a lot guys, I've been looking on http://interbuscostarica.com/ and found a transfer from arenal to manuel antonio with a crocodile boat for cheap, would have ordered if I didn't saw this thread. again, thanks a lot!!!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

That's great, Barry G. I am glad we were able to help you avoid a big problem. I hope a lot of people will see this and be warned.

By the way -- how did you find the interbuscostarica.com website, Barry?

nyc
Level Contributor
71 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

Ive heard of this before :(

Do yourself a favor and stay at Agua Vista the views priceless we go there yearly

Edited: 12:20 am, September 01, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Agua Vista
Agua Vista
210 Reviews
Montezuma, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
68. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

Thanks Hattie. I don't remmember exactly where I found it, but I'm sure it's somewhere in this forum because it's the only source of information I'm using to plan my vacation... I do remmember that it was hard for me to find it after the first time and googling it didn't help, which kind of surprised me (now I see why).

I also remmember were was a thread of someone asking about interbus and someone gave him the interbuscostarica and said that it seems like they have a new website...

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
105 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

This is really scary. I wander if anybody knows this website www.come2cr.com ?

I reserved a vacation rental trough them. When I try to Google it: nothing happens ????? Please kindly let me know if this is a scam also.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Ivan's House Scam?

Why wouldn't you just book a vacation rental in Costa Rica through VRBO or Homeaway or FlipKey? All of these are "tried and true" and can guarantee you will not get ripped off.

I don't know if it's a ripoff, but when you go to the "About us" tab..... there is nothing. And the "contact" information doesn't list anything in Costa Rica just a couple of San Francisco area phone numbers.

I would be wary.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Francisco
San Francisco
California