We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Jose to Montezuma

Which Montezuma hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
philadelphia
3 posts
Save Topic
San Jose to Montezuma

Couple questions. My friend and I are planning on renting a car and driving from San Jose to Montezuma in mid july. How long is the drive? I understand it's the rainy season, will roads be an issue (by issue I mean, impassable)?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
45,538 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

Weather at the moment very nice...almost all over the country...hopefully is going to be good weather the whole month of July...

Nobody knows when any road is going to be impassable...sorry...roads during the rainy season are so unpredicatble!

roadadvisor

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

The roads to Montezuma have been really fixed up, so it won't be a problem. You can rent a car in San JOse and head over to Montezuma with the ferry! Very easy to do, but it's a full day travel adventure.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

It will take you about 2 hours to Puntarennas then I think it is about an hour on the ferry then about another hour from Paquera to Montezuma. Of course there will be some wait time at the ferry I am sure.

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

Yep - 2 hours to Puntarenas, a bit of a wait for the ferry, 1 hour on the ferry and about 1.5 hour to Montezuma.

The roads were fixed, but recent storms made them a bit rough again - for the last 7km, after Cobano - just drive slow and watch for potholes and drivers coming the other direction on the wrong side (they are also avoiding potholes).

The lst 1 km is down a steep windy hill, so go especially slow and beep your horn before the sharp corners (so dirvers coming up on the wrong side are aware of other traffic). Drivers coming up have it tougher, so it is polite to give way to them.

Hope that helps

Enjoy your stay - the drive is worth it!

Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

We are first time visitors to the area, and would like to also take the trip from SJO to Montezuma. Should we rent a car, or take alternative bus/shuttle services? any opinions? We are planning on traveling first part of April 2011.

Thanks!

Edited: 11:59 am, November 18, 2010
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
45,538 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

Grega...rent a car...is fun...dealt with big guys...TOYOTA...Budget...NAtional...Avis...Alamo...

For hotels dealt with companies or people that are in USA or Costa Rica...do not send money to any other country...can easily be a big scam!

roadadvsior

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

The choice as to whether to drive or what form of transportation to take is really a personal choice. Various posters could all put their opinions and they will vary depending on the own preference. I personally never drive in Costa Rica and generally use public transportation such as buses, taxis, small planes through Nature Air or Sansa. Montezuma is tiny so no need for a car while there. A car would be nice for day trips to Cabo Blanco National Park or Mal Pais but you can also take buses or hire a driver to do this. It is all just your own choice and tolerance. Personally, I think the driving is absolutely nutso and leave it up to the professionals...private drivers, bus drivers, and taxi drivers.

By the way, if you don't want the long road and ferry trip you can fly to Tambor then take a taxi from there to Montezuma. This is a time saver. Also another time saver is the quick ferry from Jaco. These are just some other ideas.

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

I agree with dd - it is a personal choice of whether to hire a car or take transport.

Definitely no car is needed in Montezuma, it is tiny. For Cabo Blanco, get a guided tour (you see & learn much more that way) and they provide transport. (check Cabo Blanco Travelers)

To get to Montezuma :

* the regular bus-ferry-bus is easy from San Jose, About 5 hours in total & the cheapest option. Other than the Coca-Cola bus station start, it's not an unpleasant journey

* fly to Tambor - but then the taxi is $30+ to Montezuma from Tambor, making your trip way more expensive but saves you a few hours

* bus to Jaco (2 hours), taxi to the speedboat & then 1 hour by boat to Monte. I guess this is the middle ground, but you still bus from the Coca-Cola station in San Jose, and save a couple of hours

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

You can also get to Montezuma by taking the bus from Alajuela - no need to go into San Jose. The only reason to go into San Jose would be if you choose the Jaco route.

There is a bus station in Alajuela (this is where the airport is located) known as La Radial. From here, you can get a bus to Puntarenas where you can take the ferry and then another bus once you reach Paquera. Another choice is to take one of many buses going north -- Liberia, Canas, Penas Blancas - and get off at the entrance to Puntarenas. Take a taxi to the ferry.

This gives you a lot of bus options without having to go into San Jose. The buses going north from San Jose stop in Alajuela at La Radial to pick up passengers.

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: San Jose to Montezuma

Just to add to #9 - that is a good possibility too, but the taxi from the highway to the ferry will be $18-$20, you can also get a local bus at the turn-off for about 60 cents.