We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from La Fortuna to Montezuma-am I crazy?

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
27 reviews
Driving from La Fortuna to Montezuma—am I crazy?

I am considering an itinerary which would involve scheduling a day to drive from La Fortuna to Montezuma (or somewhere else in the southern peninsula). I would also allow for a full day to get to Montezuma, and also for the trip back to San Jose (actually Heredia), via the Puntarenas ferry.

Is this just toooo much time in a car? Should I just drive back from La Fortuna to San Jose, and just catch a plane to Tambor? Any other thoughts/ideas?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
51,001 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Driving from La Fortuna to Montezuma—am I crazy?

I do not see is crazy at all...just go from La Fortuna down to San Ramon...take Pan Am Hwy North toward Puntarenas...go to the ferry...take the ferry...get to Paquera...and then Montezuma...NOT HARD AT ALL! and a lot of fun!!

Luis Road Advisor.

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Harrisonburg, VA
Level Contributor
110 posts
2. Re: Driving from La Fortuna to Montezuma—am I crazy?

I asked this same question a few weeks ago (except I am traveling from Mal Pais -> La Fortuna). Here is the thread where I got a few answers:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k1895…

It sounds like it may only take ~5 hours to drive it taking the bridge route or the ferry route. I still haven't decided which route I plan to take in a few weeks.

- Abe

Level Contributor
806 posts
3. Re: Driving from La Fortuna to Montezuma—am I crazy?

We drove from Arenal to Mal Pais and then back to Alejuela a few days later. We took the ferry route. It was our first time in CR and we didn't know what to expect; both drives took longer than expected but it was kind of an adventure and I'm glad we did it.

The ferry is inexpensive and easy. I would confirm the ferry times *in* CR; I'd recommend having the hotel check for you. (We got our schedule online and it was wrong.) The ferry was less than $20 for the car and three passengers. We liked having a car since Mal Pais and Santa Teresa are sort of spread out.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Driving from La Fortuna to Montezuma—am I crazy?

That;s not a crazy thing to do at all. The drive from La Fortuna, around lake Arenal, to Tilaran, Las Canas and down to the new bridge crossing the gulf above Puntarenas, then down to Paquera and across the lower part of the peninsula is a great drive! It is very scenic, lots of places to stop (check out the pottery in the area after you cross the bridge onto the Nicoya Peninsula). Take your time(6 hrs if you are taking it easy). Leave early in the morning, you will get to Montezuma well before dark even if you stop often. On the way back up to San Jose, take the ferry from Paquera to Puntarenas and either go up the main route, or take the alternate route from Orotina to Atenas and Garita then get on the main highway (you avoid the huge trucks and traffic congestion on this route). This way, you see more country and you are not retracing your path.

Drive carefully, watch out for the other drivers! Have fun!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Driving from La Fortuna to Montezuma—am I crazy?

Thank you everyone. IF I do this I will report back. I am, however, rethinking going to Montezuma. Not because the drive, but other reasons. I may end up in Manuel Antonio after all. (see this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k1962… )

6. Re: Driving from La Fortuna to Montezuma—am I crazy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, September 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Montezuma