We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montezuma

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Montezuma

Anybody have any experiences with the Hotel Jardin. Recomendations on other places.in Montezuma Tambor?

Most of the places do not have A/C Do you need it in Montezuma????

Mentioned in this post
Montezuma
Montezuma
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Tambor
Tambor
New England
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Montezuma

AC has its advantages...at least you'll be able to get your clothes to dry! Enjoy your trip. You'll love it!

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Montezuma

PHiloKvetch,

Does my travelling scenerio Make Sense. M/A first and then Montezuma. How many hours from Montezums to the Airport in San Jose.??

Mentioned in this post
Montezuma
Montezuma
San Jose
San Jose
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Montezuma

I was just in Montezuma last week!

Montezuma is fairly remote compared to Manual Antonio. To reach Montezuma you would need to take a ferry from Puntarenas to Paqurea and then either drive or take a taxi or bus to Montezuma. We rented a car and the drive and ferry ride from Montezuma to Manuel Antonio took about 4 1/2 hours total.

Mentioned in this post
Montezuma
Montezuma
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Montezuma

One more thing... The Hotel Jardin looked very nice and I think they have a pool (definate bonus). We did hear one person complaining that after they faxed a reservation the hotel never confirmed their reservationand had given away their room. I suggest calling to confirm after you send a fax

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Montezuma

And another thing... You might find that a week in Manuel Antonio is too much. MA is very touristy and the food was overpriced and average when compared to the other places we visited. I think that MA is only worth staying two or three nights at best. I'd suggest fitting in two days at Aernal volcano into your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Montezuma

Sean, Your comments are valuable. Having a forum is great.

Tripadvisor

seems the best so far. Anyway, hearing what you and others have said about travel from Montezuma to San Jose, WE are renting a car in San Jose from tricolor(a great price of $331 for two weeks)

I Came up with a better plan. Have a 3:15 Plane to catch on Saturday and driving early in the Am from Montezuma may not be the best plan SO I 'll spend 6 nights in Montezuma(after 7 in M/A) and one night in Puntarenas and drive to the airport in mid-day

We really love to spend time in one or two places in a beach area

and Jaco seems so tacky and other ares seems so far away i.e. North Nocaya and Carribean side

THanks and keep those remarkd coming

PS The best forum/chat room is the one for Belieze... ambergris.com

Mentioned in this post
Montezuma
Montezuma
San Jose
San Jose
Jaco
Jaco
Jaco District, Costa Rica
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Montezuma

Sean just realized you live in San Francisco. I am across the Bay in Berkeley. I lived in SF - Bernal Heights for over 12 years.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Montezuma

I saw that you are in Berkeley. I'm at 22nd and Guerrero street!

I rented from Tricolor and they are fantastic. What kind of vehicle are you renting? You will need a 4x4 to get to Montezuma. Don't spend a night in Punterenas as it has some pretty seedy areas. Spend your last night in Alajuela near the Airport. We stayed at Las Orquedias Inn for our first and last nights in Costa Rica and enjoyed it. Tricolor will even pick up the car from there.

If you have any more question that you think I can answer you can email me directly at seanc420@mindspring.com

Mentioned in this post
Montezuma
Montezuma
Alajuela
Alajuela
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Montezuma

One more thing...

You might be interested in reading my trip report about my visit to Costs Rica earlier this month. You can see it here http://www.katclare.com/costa_rica/index.htm

New England
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Montezuma

You may indeed have the time to add one more segment to your "adventure" if you are up to it. Perhaps Monteverde? It's not that far off the track between San Jose-MA-Montezuma. The roads don't make for high speed travel but it still only takes a few hours (as, it seems, does every trip in Costa Rica). Plus, it is nothing like the environment you'll experience in the rest of the country...it's very unique! I would also agree with a previous poster who recommended against staying in Puntarenas. It doesn't have much to offer and you've already done the hard part of the trip from Montezuma. The rest is just highway. Sometimes slow, but paved! You might as well find a place close to the airport with good food and a pool and relax on your last night. We use the Hotel La Rosa de America in Alajuela. It's small and quite attractive/friendly with a nice pool and a variety of restaurants nearby. It's also owned/run by Americans which makes for a bit of a transition to home. They have a web site where you can check things out.

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
San Jose
San Jose
Montezuma
Montezuma
Costa Rica
Costa Rica