We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pension Santa Elena v. Casa Tranquilo v. Tina's Casita's

NYC
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Pension Santa Elena v. Casa Tranquilo v. Tina's Casita's

Hi guys,

I've been doing lots of research and I can't decide between Pension Santa Elena, Casa Tranquilo, and Tina's Casitas. Any comments? At first I was leaning towards Pension Santa Elena but I sent them a message via their website a couple of days ago and they haven't responded, which makes me feel a bit uneasy about their service. I've been looking for an email for them, just in case their website is just malfunctioning, but I can't find one. Anyone got it?

I'm going to be staying in Monteverde for three nights and just need lodging with a private room (with private bath) that's reasonably clean and with good access to the reserves. Thanks!!!

Mentioned in this post
Pension Santa Elena
Pension Santa Elena
757 Reviews
Santa Elena, Costa Rica
Monteverde
Monteverde
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Pension Santa Elena v. Casa Tranquilo v. Tina's Casita's

I've stayed at the Pension and would recommend it highly for anyone on a budget as you seem to be. I haven't stayed at the other places you mentioned but know of them. The reason I didn't stay at either of them is because they were a little bit further out of town (Tranquillo to the south and Tina's I believe was heading north towards the soccer field). You could still walk from either of them into town but the Pension is right there. Another place that you might want to consider that is right in town and looks good and cheap is the Treehouse Hotel.

BTW, when are you going? A lot of these budget places, particularly those without their on web-presence , operate on a first come first served basisand don't take reservations. BTW, I wasn't even aware that the Pension ahd a webpage besides their listing at Monteverdeinfo.com. Maybe you could share that address with us. Anyway, when I stayed there I did get through to them ahead of time and was told they didn't take reservations but had plenty of room. I believe Tina's works the same way, but I'm not as sure about Tranquilo. If you get into town reasonably early (ie by mid to late afternoon), you should be able to just pop your head into Pension (they're literally right around the corner from the bus stop in the center of town) and they'll probably have a room. If not, one of the others will (and the Pension will probably call ahead for you to save you walking all over the place).

Alternatively, you can just go with one of the touts that will be waiting for the bus. I'm not sure how that works in Monteverde, whether they get a cut from the hotel they take you to or whether you tip them a buck or two. Either way even if you pay a little bit more, we're not talking about that much for the added convenience and the total amount you will pay will still be much much less than what it costs at the fancy places.

Mentioned in this post
Monteverde
Monteverde
Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Pension Santa Elena v. Casa Tranquilo v. Tina's Casita's

Okay, I just did some quick research which I should have done before I posted my last message.

Tina's is located SW of town. I was thinking of a different budget option that was on the north side of town.

I found the new website for the Pension (www.pensionsantaelena.com). My guess is that if their website is malfunctioning their e-mail would be too. They may have changed their policy about reservations along with their website. I suggest you call them. The owners when I was there was a brother and sister from California so you don't have to worry about having to speak spanish. 506 645 5051

NYC
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pension Santa Elena v. Casa Tranquilo v. Tina's Casita's

Thank you so much!! Btw also thank you for your other response re my itinerary. You're very helpful! I found an email somewhere for Pension Santa Elena so I sent them a message to that email just in case they do take reservations, or at least so that they can give me an idea of whether or not I might be able to get a room at their place when I go. I'm going to CR from Jan. 6 to the 14th, and I'm taking the afternoon Monteverde bus from SJ on the 6th (because my flight arrives at 12:30pm). I'm keeping other options in mind, like you said, because I'll be getting into Monteverde in the evening...

Oh by the way, do you know much about Cerro Chato in Arenal/La Fortuna? I'm going to be staying there from Jan. 9 to the 11th, and I've heard good things about the place, but I haven't heard anything re how far it is from the Arenal Volcano park or from town...

Mentioned in this post
Pension Santa Elena
Pension Santa Elena
757 Reviews
Santa Elena, Costa Rica
Monteverde
Monteverde
Arenal Lodge
Arenal Lodge
901 Reviews
La Fortuna de San Carlos, Costa Rica
Arenal Volcano National Park
Arenal Volcano National...
Province of Alajuela, Costa Rica
4. Re: Pension Santa Elena v. Casa Tranquilo v. Tina's Casita's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, August 21, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Monteverde Cloud...