We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wondering about heat and rain in Santa Elena/cloud forests

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
33 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Wondering about heat and rain in Santa Elena/cloud forests

We'll be in Santa Elena May 2-6. I'm pretty sure it will be hot there, but what about when we go up into the cloud forests? I haven't been able to find much in the way of weather information for them. Is rain a certainty? Will it be both cool and hot depending on where in the forests we are? What about mosquitos?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,045 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wondering about heat and rain in Santa Elena/cloud forests

HATTIE so nice to get wet as you said...well for some reason the rain forest and cloud forest are places that you can and wil get wet and you will dry out...!

Many years ago one person was lost at Monteverde...she spend the whole night sitting by a tree with some rains...then some more rain...when we found her...she was wet but incredible happy...and she toll us that her Pebble Beach Golf jacket keep her warm during the night...since then I always recommend a Golf Jacket...they work great...umbrellas no way Jose!

roadadvisor

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
33 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wondering about heat and rain in Santa Elena/cloud forests

I'm thinking a golf jacket, then, but maybe some kind of waterproof hat to keep the rain off our glasses?

And my camera is not set up to be waterproof. Any hints for that?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wondering about heat and rain in Santa Elena/cloud forests

You can buy a waterproof housing for your camera or just put it in a large plastic bag.

A hat is a good idea if you wear glasses. I have often thought that it would be great to have tiny windshield wipers for my glasses in the rain!

A very lightweight, waterproof golf jacket would work well.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,045 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Wondering about heat and rain in Santa Elena/cloud forests

Get a DRY BACK or one of the containers we use for rafting trips...they are the best...juts look for them at AMAZON...

roadadvisor

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
33 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Wondering about heat and rain in Santa Elena/cloud forests

Thank you!!

I've got an unrelated question -- maybe the last one before we leave in a few days! -- but I'll start a new thread for that. Thanks again for the help. (I checked out the waterproof stuff on Amazon -- hadn't thought of that.)

16. Re: Wondering about heat and rain in Santa Elena/cloud forests

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 26, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Monteverde Cloud...