We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costa Rica Itinerary for two weeks

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
detroit
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
Costa Rica Itinerary for two weeks

My husband and I will be in CR the first two weeks of July. Have been reading several guidebooks. The more I read the more confusing it gets. We are in our mid 50's. Want to see a variety of what CR has to offer. We're not into diving or surfing. Definitely, want to spend some time on the Caribbean side near Puerto Viejo to get a flavor of the culture in that part of the country. Would be interested in a white water rafting trip.

Haven't decided on whether or not to rent a 4x4. We fly in and out of San Jose. If we didn't go to Monteverde could we see similar scenery in "less touristy" areas? I speak a fair amount of Spanish and we like to go to areas that are not so heavily touristed.

This is our first trip. We'd like to see as much as possible, but we'd like to spend 3-4 nights at each location.

Any suggestion for possible itineraries would be appreciated. Thanks.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
726 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costa Rica Itinerary for two weeks

You'll probably want a 4x4 unless you want to fly between each destination (not really a bad idea). I suggest not bothering with San Jose itself but staying outside town. You can do the reafting as a one or two day trip from SJ and surroundings. They'll pick up and drop off at your hotel.

Monteverde is very touristy. Almost all of the same things can be seen in other areas. The area around Cerro de la Muerte has quetzals, is heavily forested and lightly touristed. I am a big booster for the Osa Peninsula. It is the most unspoiled and least touristed parts of the country but still has good infrastructure and wonderful lodges.

Glad to hear you are reading the guidebooks. Be sure to check mine out: Costa Rica Alive!.

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Costa Rica Itinerary for two weeks

Here is a link to the weather averages, since you might want to choose some drier destinations for July.

http://www.costarica.com/Home/Weather/Temperature_Rainfall,_%7Damp;_Humidity/By_Cities_%7Damp;_Towns

If you are interested in white water rafting and Puerto Viejo then consider taking a trip on Rio Pascuare, being picked up from your hotel in San Jose area and dropped off in Puerto Viejo after the trip. One note - that means you will not have a car there, so will need to take taxies around and then a shuttle van to your next destination. Or you can go on one of the other rivers from San Jose area or from Arenal area, as a day trip. A trip on Rio Sarapiqui can be arranged with pick up from San Jose area or Poas Volcano / La Paz waterfalls area and drop off in Arenal area or the other way around.

You need to decide what you are interested in seeing and doing on the rest of your trop. - Are you interested in volcanoes? Are you interested in seeing a cloud forest because of the amazing plants there or do you want to see the quetzals? Are you interested in going to places to see specific wildlife? Monkeys, macaws, aquatic birds, turtles nesting? Different places have different wildlife.

When people say Monteverde is too touristy they have to specify whether they are talking about Monteverde Reserve or the whole Monteverde area (which includes 2 cloud forest Monteverde Reserve and Santa Elena Reserve, the village of Santa Elena, and at least 3 other forests full of hiking opportunities). Personally, I feel that the Monteverde area is not too touristy and is worth visiting for the hiking opportunities. If you are just interested in seeing the amazing plants of a cloud forest then you can go to one of the more easily accessible cloud forests, Los Angeles, north of San Ramon, for example, or Bajo del Toro area, north of Grecia, both on the way from San Jose to Arenal area, or San Gerardo de Dota, south of San Jose (known as the place with the best chances of seeing quezals, as mentioned in the post above).

www.arenal.net and www.monteverdeinfo.com are great websites about those areas.

Maui
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Costa Rica Itinerary for two weeks

My wife and

Jupiter, FL
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Costa Rica Itinerary for two weeks

Travel10000,

You mentioned that you can pick up a rafting trip on the Rio Sarapiqui from the La Paz Waterfall to Arenal. Do you have any links for this trip? Thanks!

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Costa Rica Itinerary for two weeks

Try www.aguas-bravas.co.cr or ask the Peace Lodge what company they would arrange though.