We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jeep-boat-jeep versus minivan-boat-minivan

Kingston, Ontario
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Jeep-boat-jeep versus minivan-boat-minivan

I am looking to get to Monteverde from the Arenal area by the jeep-boat-jeep option. However, after questioning most agents, it appears what most really offer are a minivan-boat-minivan version ....

Since from what I gather the last leg of the trip is rather bumpy, I thought it would be more fulfilling/appropriate to ride it in an actual jeep or 4x4 vehicle rather than a minivan.

Can anyone suggest a company that does the last leg with an actual jeep?

Thank you!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
549 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jeep-boat-jeep versus minivan-boat-minivan

We did the 'j-b-j' journey from Fortuna to Monteverde - and, if I recall correctly, there weren't any jeeps involved! :) Listen, the roads are bad in that area - nobody can dispute that. But ---- the locals are used to it and they drive every kind of vehicle possible up and down these roads every day. I remember walking down this little, rutty, dirt road by Pizzeria de Johnnies when an 18 wheeler (with a full trailer) blew by me at a high rate of speed. I remember thinking - 'you've got to be kidding me'. But, alas, it was true.

Don't sweat this detail too hard. Just bring a few dramamines and look for the van with the cushiest seats!! You'll have a great time! Scott

Get answers to your questions about Monteverde Cloud...