We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transport to Monteverde

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
57 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
transport to Monteverde

My daughter and I will get into SJO shortly after 3pm. I would like to get to Saint Elena that day (1/26/12) and go out with a guide the next morning. I feel a little intimidated about renting a car--is there a hired car service or good alternative? I have read a lot about buses in CR and I rather like bus travel--but I really want to get to Monteverde that evening without a hitch. Thanks for all the recommendations about guides. We will want to do a canopy tour while there and then perhaps head to Arenal.(I hear things have quieted down there. Still interesting? ) I think we'll spend our beachy time in Corcovado--although transportation there sounds a little tricky, too. We are budget travelers and love the creatures. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,813 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transport to Monteverde

Dear AllMimsy

It is agood idea to have a person wiating for you outside the aiport...to drive you to Monteverde...if you arrive by 3PM...you will be out by 3:45PM...you can easily be by Santa Eelena by 7PM...

Please for your own good, dealt with companies that are certified by Costa Rica Government ICT...no ICT certification...please find somebody else!

In your case and based on your information...buses will be a hard option...please do not take me wrong buses are a great option...and affordable...

Of course Arenal is always nice even with the big guy taking a nap...you can take the Jeep Boat Jeep which is a great option only $ 29.00 per person and is a door to door service...

To go to Corcovado you may have to go back to San Jose to take a flight to Puerto Jimenez...or Drakes Bay...of course you can drive...but is a long drive,,,nice road all the way...some reparis around Rincon de Osa...not big deal...

Maybe Carate beach...ISEAMI lodge aboy $ 85.00 per person including room, taxes, 3 meals...

roadadvisor

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
57 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transport to Monteverde

Hello Roadadvisor: Thanks for your many helpful comments--this one for me and the other's I've read through putting together this trip. In Monteverde I'm thinking seriously about staying at the station in the reserve. This sounds like it will make the early morning tour so easy and the whole experience very intense. Is this good for several nights or would you recommend we move on after two nights? Should we book the trip to Arenal once we're in Monteverde? I'm not sure we'll go to Arenal--we might need the beach by then. ISEAMI looks very interesting. I was thinking more about the Drake Bay side of Corcovado. Or do you think we might benefit from splitting up our stay--a few days on Drake and a few at ISEAMI? I will need to get my daughter to an airport where she can fly to San Jose in the morning to pick up her mid-day flight back to the states from SJO. Is that better at Drake or Puerto Jimenez? After tha I will want to scuba dive--of of Isla Del Cano?

I appreciate your advice. Thanks much!

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transport to Monteverde

for good transportation with a good record, contact don luis at reservations@tucanlimoservices.com

they for sure know monteverde and corcovado, good cars, english speaking drivers, good rates,

4. Re: transport to Monteverde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:31 am, November 22, 2012