We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exact Directions from Arenal to Monteverde

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Exact Directions from Arenal to Monteverde

Does anyone have exact directions from Arenal to Monteverde? I keep seeing posts that say there is only 1 route past Tilaran. But how does one get to Monteverde from Tilaran?

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Exact Directions from Arenal to Monteverde

My post in this past thread is about the most detailed description I've seen on the route you're taking:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291982-i813-k2831…

_If_I_rent_a_car_to_drive_from_Arenal_to_Monteverde_what_is_the_best_route-l1684258-Costa_Rica.html#1684258

(link split in 2 due to long title)

Don't rely on my directions. Try and get a good map. Someone suggested buying maps sold by local children on the route. I've never seen that myself, but I've always had a decent map and had a pretty good sense of where I was heading. If you fail on either of those, just don't be afraid to stop and ask. Spanish helps, but just being able to say Santa Elena will get you pointed in the right direction. Finally leave early enough to allow enough time for unforeseen road mishaps or wrong turns. A final soak in the hot springs is fine, but I'd leave by mid to late morning by the latest (lunch at Toad Hall is always nice). If the trip goes smoothly, as it probably will, the worst that will happen is you'll arrive at Santa Elena early enough to be able to do something there in the afternoon. The last thing you want to do is get caught out between Tilaran and Santa Elena after dusk trying to find your way back on track.

Naples, Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exact Directions from Arenal to Monteverde

Thankyou Prolifo. You have been very helpful. It's much appreciated.

Get answers to your questions about Monteverde Cloud...