We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time from Arenal to Monteverde

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
6 posts
Save Topic
time from Arenal to Monteverde

I am staying at the Lost Iguana Resort. Is it possible to leave early morning, travel to Monteverde for a few hours, and then head to MOntezuma? I cannot figure out distances.

New England
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: time from Arenal to Monteverde

If you go from Arenal to Monteverde you won't feel much like going on to Montezuma in the same day and it's unlikely you could make it during daylight hours. Distances are almost irrelevant considering how small the country is...time is how you'll measure your travels and things take about three times as long as you would estimate looking at a map.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: time from Arenal to Monteverde

Hello Bellanote. To get to Monteverde from Arenal will take you about 3.5 hours on a very very rough and dusty road. So let´s say you leave Arenal at 8 am. You will be hitting Monteverde minutes before noon. Right on time for lunch! (at least one hour)

It is not a good time to go to the Reserve, and if something, you will be able to do the canopy tour (which you could do in Arenal also)

From there to Montezuma you will spend an average of 5 hours, with the last two hours driving on a curvy and slippery road. Are you sure you want that much driving for one single day?

My recomendation, just relax in Arenal and then drive to Montezuma, or make arrangements to spend the night in

Monteverde.

Whatever, good luck!

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: time from Arenal to Monteverde

how long does it take to drive from Monteverde to Playa Ocotal or Playa Coco? Has anyone made this drive?