We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monteverde Reserve/Selvatura/Santa Elena Reserve

Chicago area
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Monteverde Reserve/Selvatura/Santa Elena Reserve

What are the differences between the three? Planning on doing the ziplines/bridges through Desafio at Selvatura in mid March. Staying at Arco Iris. Thanks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
48,221 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monteverde Reserve/Selvatura/Santa Elena Reserve

Selvatura is a kind of private amusement park...Monteverde Reserve is natural...and great for bird watchers and hikers...my fav!

roadadvisor

Edited: 11:00 am, February 24, 2010
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monteverde Reserve/Selvatura/Santa Elena Reserve

Different extensions of same cloud forest eco-system

www.monteverdeinfo.com good info

Hidden Velley night tour amazing a do not miss...

Monteverde Cloud...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monteverde Reserve/Selvatura/Santa Elena Reserve

hi

Hostel Monteverde Cabinas El Pueblo

I have good price for my hostel

also I have many options and prices for tours here in Monteverde, I have more information in my office or write me I'll help info@cabinaselpueblo.com,

www.cabinaselpueblo.com

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
420 posts
323 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monteverde Reserve/Selvatura/Santa Elena Reserve

We just returned yesterday from CR. While staying in Monteverde we visited the Monteverde Reserve. IMO it was worthwile hiring a guide for an extra $17/pp. You can get a licensed guide at the ticket office at the main entrance to the park. Our guide pointed out amazing wildlife that we would not have seen otherwise. He also taught us many interesting facts about the forest. A hike without a guide is like a hike in any other park.

Sidebar - the park closes at 4pm. We arrived by taxi and finished our hike at 4:15pm and ther was NO ONE around the main entrance. Like a ghost town. No taxi's hanging around. Luckily our guide called a taxi for us otherwise it would have been a long walk!

We did the zip line, hanging bridges and hummingbird garden at Selvatura. Well worth it and a highlight for our family. As mentioned, it is a privately run tourist entertainment centre. See here.

http://www.selvatura.com/

Selvatura is located in the Santa Elena Cloud Forest. I was told by our guide that the Monteverde and Santa Elena Cloud Forests are slightly different because they are located on different sides of the continental divide. May be true but the forests looked similar to me.

Arco Iris is right in town and an easy walk to restaurants and shops. We never reserved our tours ahead of time. Your level of enjoyment of the outdoor tours could be affected by the weather so our hotel manager (Jose from Rustic Lodge..a great place but that's for another post) booked our Selvatura tour the night before and other tours a few hours before without any problems.

Boston
Level Contributor
51 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monteverde Reserve/Selvatura/Santa Elena Reserve

Selvatura is like a theme park -- it is fun if you want to zip line, but not the best place to see nature. Monteverde Reserve is a beautiful place, with amazing trees, cool mist rolling in, some wildlife. Santa Elena Reserve is like Monteverde but smaller, fewer people, and I hear some of the trails are more challenging.

I'd recommend spending most of your time in either the Monteverde Reserve or the Santa Elana one, and just head to Selvatura for the zip lining. There are also two other operators that do zip lines -- "Sky Trek" and "The Original Canopy Tour". We went with Selvatura, which was ok but they really try to rush you through it so you don't enjoy it as much. I wish we had done "The Original Canopy Tour" -- my friend that visited CR thought it was amazing, and you also ascend through a giant strangler fig tree!

6. Re: Monteverde Reserve/Selvatura/Santa Elena Reserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 01, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Monteverde Cloud...