We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Horseback Riding in Monteverde

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Central Ohio
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Horseback Riding in Monteverde

For those going to Monteverde and wanting to ride horseback for a few hours or even a few days, we have had such good luck and experiences with Sabine's Smiling Horses. Sabine, the owner of the stables, speaks German, French, English and Spanish. We felt really comfortable conveying to her that our daughter was a novice and our teen aged son was a risk taker. She took the time to talk to them and match her horses to our abilities. My husband has Parkinsons and could only attempt a short trip and Sabine's was the only stable that would make the special accomodation to pick him anytime he wanted to end his ride so the rest of us could continue on the other 3 hours. When he was exhausted at the end of the first hour, our guide made a call and within minutes we were met so my husband could ride back in a car to meet us later at Smiling Horses. That is exceptional customer service!

Our family recommends Sabine's Smiling Horses if you want to go horsebackriding in Monteverde Costa Rica.

nowhere
Level Contributor
872 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Horseback Riding in Monteverde

What a nice story and excellent recommendation. Wish we had known before we went, but we'll know when/if we go back. I have bad arthritis and knew I couldn't keep up with my friends. Had we found someone so accommodating, I would have at least tried. Thanks!

Canada
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Horseback Riding in Monteverde

My husband (first time and nervous rider) and my three year old daughter just want to go back and will not ride in no other ranch...As for I, I have been riding for sometime and saw many ranches and horses(i did visit a couple in Costa Rica) and few have pleased me like SABINE SMILING HORSES. She is devoted to her family (here the horses are part of it) and keeps finding places to ride where magic exists...we rode with the famous BLUE MORPHO flying by the dozen around us, and feed monkeys...my daugher even got to eat wild rasberries....

PLEASE go to her ranch, it is the ONLY one i saw with the magial feeling and the love....

Natalie

this message and others were removed by monteverdeinfo.com

London
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Horseback Riding in Monteverde

I am an experienced rider and that was one of the reasons I decided to visit Monteverde. My first ride was with Sabine's stable and while the horses were in good shape, it was a disappointing tour as half the time we were riding on public roads and the other half was in pastures with no trees in sight.

I did not meet the owner, only her guide Jimmy. Since my Spanish was so poor, we had a hard time to communicate. Maybe she is friendly as the other posts say but the point for me was riding and the property was simply too small.

The next day I went riding with Emiliano, a local farmer. The property was huge with more than 200 acres with mountains, cliffs, forests & coffee plantations, and open fields great for galloping. I saw many birds on the property including several toucans & green parrots and a family of white face monkeys. The horses were great and the people friendly.