We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice Monteverde or arenal

San Diego...
Level Contributor
127 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice Monteverde or arenal

My wife and I along with two single friends are going to costa rica in may and need help. We fly into San Jose and out of Liberia. We are staying our first night in san jose then heading up north. We were thinking of staying 5 nights in arenal and monteverde. We were thinking of staying two nights in arenal and three nights in monteverde is that recommended for 4 young adventurous people? After that we are heading towards tamarindo for our last three nights in costa rica. My next question is would it be easier to head towards tamarindo from arenal or monteverde? also How should we head up north from san jose by plane(nature air) or transportation? Thanks for your help

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice Monteverde or arenal

3 nights Arenal, 2 nights Monteverde. You can do either or first.

With four of you, it might make sense to rent your own 4x4, if you're so inclined. It'll give you the flexibility to explore independently around Arenal, Tamarindo, etc.

In the absence of your own car, get to Arenal or Monteverde by either private transfer or shared tourist shuttle (i.e. interbus) -- or by direct public bus if you want to save $$$. With four of you, a private transfer should run a similar cost to the tourist shuttle, so look into it for sure.

Between Arenal and Monteverde, you can do a jeep-boat-jeep "shortcut" transfer, or if you're up for the adventure, go via boat and horseback on a one-way excursion.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice Monteverde or arenal

Misterjosh thanks for your reply! I thought that there was more things to do in monteverde in comparison to Arenal is this correct?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice Monteverde or arenal

Misterjosh thanks for your reply! I thought that there was more things to do in monteverde in comparison to Arenal is this correct?

Kansas
Destination Expert
for Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,898 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice Monteverde or arenal

There is a lot to do at both locations.

From Arenal, you can daytrip to Cano Negro. For those in your party that want to see birds and animals, it will probably be the highlight of their trip.

PNW
Level Contributor
642 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice Monteverde or arenal

There was more to do in Arenal than in MV. MV is small and besides hikes and the Zip lines there isn't much besides just a quaint atmosphere. Arenal has A LOT of things to do Zip lines, rafting, Rappeling, ATVs, caving, Cano Negro, Hanging Bridges, Volcano hike ect ect.

Hammonton, New...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice Monteverde or arenal

Hi, Bigrude, my husband and I just came back from Costa Rica. If you can afford a 4x4, rent one! Otherwise, you will be at the mercy of buses and taxis and you will not be able to move around when you want to. We rented a 4x4 Bego from Payless for a week and it was very reasonable. Also, if you rent a car, stay outside of San Jose in Alejuela your first night at a place called Las Orquedeas Inn. We loved it. We then drove to Monteverde. After you leave the highway, the dirt road is horrible, but better to do it in your own car than in a bus! Monteverde has the cloud forest tours and the zip lines, hiking and some small shops downtown. To then drive to Monteverde, you will need to go around Lake Arenal. The volcano is awesome! There are sip lines and hanging bridges there as well, and hiking at the base of the volcano. We returned to Alejuela after this, so I can't help you with Tamarindo. Have a good trip!

So. Cal.
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice Monteverde or arenal

We did 3 nites in Arenal & 2 in Monte Verde. That was perfect for us.

8. Re: Need advice Monteverde or arenal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:21 pm, September 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Monteverde Cloud...