We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Elena Cloud Reserve

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Santa Elena Cloud Reserve

Can you hire a guide around the park entrance or is this something I should book before I go? What is the cost?

Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Elena Cloud Reserve

Anyone?

San Diego
Level Contributor
59 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Elena Cloud Reserve

When I went about 2 years ago, there was not anyone hanging out at the entrance. When I went it was raining and there were actually very few people there. We walked many of the trails and would only see a couple of people on the trails. We didn't hire a guide, but was able to navigate through it ok. If you do want a guide, I would suggest hiring one before. Also one thing to mention, when we went, we didn’t realize what it meant to actually be in a cloud forest. I would suggest brining a waterproof jacket with you. If you don't have one, you can buy plastic ponchos where you buy the tickets.

Fort Worth Texas
Level Contributor
117 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Elena Cloud Reserve

We were there last month and saw no guides at all, but I heard that there are scheduled tours around 7:30 and 11:30 in the morning. We loved going on our own and only saw one other couple during our 3 hour hike. I'm sure we would have learned more with a guide, but we enjoyed being alone. We took windbreakers and got hot and took them off. A very light poncho would have been nice as we were wet by the end of our hike. Maps are given out at the entrance and there are signs along the way. You'll love it. I think the cost was $15 per person...pretty cheap.

4. Re: Santa Elena Cloud Reserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 pm, September 23, 2009