We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is that a scorpion in your pants or are you happy to see me?

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
119 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Is that a scorpion in your pants or are you happy to see me?

We just got back from 12 amazing days in Costa Rica including stays on the Osa Peninsula (Bosque del Cabo), the Arenal region and Monteverde. If I can offer two pieces of advice they would be:

(1) if you have always wanted to go to Costa Rica but have been putting it off, do not hesitate, GO! It is one of the most incredible places on the earth.

(2) remember, no matter where you are, you are a visitor, nature is the host. We were very careful our entire trip - keeping all of our clothes off of the floor and all of our bags zipped so as not to invite little critters into our stuff. On our next to last day there, in Monteverde, I got a little lazy and left a pair of pants on the ground over night and hung them up the next morning on a chair. Later that day, I put on said pants and felt a slight stinging sensation on my calf. As I shook the pant leg, the stinging moved down my calf and - SURPRISE - a scorpion fell to the floor. Now, I had never even seen a scorpion in real life, let alone one falling from my pants. After a slight panic about being stung by this menacing looking creature, I learned that he was not very poisonous and, basically, to treat it like a bee sting (and a great story to tell about our trip)!

Illinois
Level Contributor
229 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is that a scorpion in your pants or are you happy to see me?

Thanks for the report/great story! We'll be visiting Osa (Lapa Rios) then the Arenal area soon & we're really looking forward to it as we're CR rookies. If you have any other noteworthy observations about those areas (good or bad) let us know! Did you do the Arenal hanging bridges, Tabacon hot springs,or La Fortuna waterfall?

I was amused by your story as it brings back a similar experience-we were camping on St John USVI & a big black centipede (venomous, but not killerly so) took refuge in my hiking shorts pocket overnite (like you I got lazy & had left em out}. I was slipping them on for an early am hike while it was semi dark/still camp quiet time. I mistakenly thought the critter could be a bracelet in my pocket & went to take it out YIKES! It didn't sting but I wanted to scream

(I didn't in respect for fellow campers) & dropped my drawers SO fast. My husband calmly returned the critter to its rightful place in the wild. Now I'm fastidious about keeping my bags zipped tight : )

Again Thanks

Illinois
Level Contributor
229 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is that a scorpion in your pants or are you happy to see me?

Duh, I just reread my post. It was a giant millipede in my pocket (not centipede). Bigger & more legs. OK Bye

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
119 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is that a scorpion in your pants or are you happy to see me?

Snoburd - we loved Hanging Bridges. We stayed at the Lost Iguana, which was right next door. I would recommend going with a guide as the amount you will learn from them during the hike will blow you away (plus, they see things us rookies will miss). Our guide knew just where to look for a tiny blue jeans dart frog - a cool little find. We also did a day trip to Cano Negro, which was amazing. There are many posts on the board about this trip (this is where I first learned of it). We passed on the spas in Arenal, but heard good things about them. Never made it to the falls, either, but will definitely be going back some day. Have a great trip!!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
229 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is that a scorpion in your pants or are you happy to see me?

Thanks for the recommendation on the hanging bridges. Did you hire your guide from Lost Iguana or at the bridges? What was the cost? Was it a scheduled tour or was it a spontaneous thing? Even tho we tend to be do-it- yourselfers I can see that it would be advantageous to have a guide to point out the critters especially. Appreciate your input-thanks.

Oh yes, how was the weather? Because we're packing light I want to make sure I bring clothing that's appropriate weatherwise & no more than that.

5. Re: Is that a scorpion in your pants or are you happy to see me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, September 18, 2009