We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Monteverde to Manuel Antonio

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
223 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Monteverde to Manuel Antonio

The travel books don't seem very encouraging with regards to travel to and from Monteverde.

We are planning on travelling from Monteverde to Manuel Antonio. Can anyone advise us the best way to go about this and how long it is likely to take?

Thanks!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Monteverde to Manuel Antonio

From Monteverde to MA, probably the best way would be by Interbus or Grayline or other scheduled shuttle;

Http://www.interbusonline.com

graylinecostarica.com/graylinetouristbus.html

It would take about 4.5 hours and the cost in the $45 per person range.

You could also hire a private driver. it is more flexible as you can arrange the time you want to leave and stop where you want. If there are more than 3 in your party, this often turns out not that much more expensive.

raquel

Wayne, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Playa Conchal
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Monteverde to Manuel Antonio

Comparing shuttle ($39/pp) vs. private transfer ($175) prices with costaricashuttle.net There are plenty of other companies too.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
223 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Monteverde to Manuel Antonio

$175 for a private driver seems awfully high. Maybe we can look into sharing with someone.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Monteverde to Manuel Antonio

I have heard of these Jeep-Boat-Jeep ways and would love if anyone has info on those.

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Monteverde to Manuel Antonio

Lisa,

Jeep Boat jeep or taxi boat taxi as it is sometimes called is a way to get from Monteverde to Arenal or visa versa (two places that look very close on a map but require a drive around a lake on a bumpy road..)

I am posting this link for info of what it is all about - not specifically endorsing that particular one since other companies offer the same service. Just google it for others.

monteverdetours.com/transport/jeep_boat_jeep…

raquel

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,438 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Monteverde to Manuel Antonio

The price of fuel in Costa Rica is high...a Toyota Hiace Van will burn about $ 60.00 USD...in that run..about 10 hours the engine running...plus driver expenses...tires...insurance...car devaluation...at the end some body maybe will be making $40.00 for a 10 hour drive...not to much money for a such a long day...the way to go is shuttle buses with many more people if you like to save money!!

The trip is very nice...road is good just the first 28 kms leaving Monteverde...

Luis Road Advisors.

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
223 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Monteverde to Manuel Antonio

Roadadvisor: are you saying it takes 10 hours to get from Monte Verde to Manuel Antonio?

The first post said 4.5.

Don't think I'm into a 10 hour trip to get to a beach if that really is the case.

Thanks for clarification.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
9,423 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Monteverde to Manuel Antonio

Its a 10 hour driving day for the driver not the passenger. I'ms sure roadadvisor was including the driver's time to get to your pickup and his return trip home. Typically the drive form Monteverde to MA takes 5 hours plus stops (4.5-6 hours would be a reasonable range). Delays can happen due to road or bridge construction, particularly at the one-lane bridges between Jaco and MA.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
223 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Monteverde to Manuel Antonio

Ok got it - I guess Monteverde doesn't have lots of local drivers so they have to come in from else where.

I think we'll play it by ear a bit and see how we feel when we get there.

Thanks for the response!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,308 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Monteverde to Manuel Antonio

Or even if you get a local driver, he still has to get back home and may not have a fare at the other end.

raquel