We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manual Antonio Hotels with Senior Citizen Parents

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Manual Antonio Hotels with Senior Citizen Parents

I need some help. In the fall, my parents and I are going to Costa Rica for a convention in San Jose. Prior to the convention, I want to go Manual Antonio.

The problem is my parents are senior citizens (73 years old) and I've been concerned about how hilly the MA area is.

My father is quite mobile but my mother, while not close to wheelchair bound, does get tired easily and wouldn't want to walk all that far.

I have gotten some feedback that of the following (Hotel Si Como, Makanda, Mango Moon, Tulamar Bungalows, or Villas Nicolas) that Tulamar may be ok as there may be a bungalow/room or two that does NOT have excessive stairs and that it has a shuttle to move people from hotel to beach. In looking at the pictures, it looks like there are walkways with guardrails. I am, however, more impressed with the Villas Nicolas prices.

If you have been to MA, could you please let me know honestly if this is true or if not, how many stairs, etc. are required to move from bungalow/room to pool to reception? I expect if I give my mother a gorgeous ocean view with a great pool, she will be satisfied.

If you know of another hotel that could also fit the bill, please let me know.

Any insights would be helpful.

Thanks.

Deb

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manual Antonio Hotels with Senior Citizen Parents

Deb: If you are leaning toward Villas Nicolas, I think there are two units with minimal steps into the unit and close to the pool, 3 Down, 6 Down. The walk from reception to the unit has three steps and then a level walkway. I'm lousy w/ distance but it's probably a 30 second walk for me so if she just takes it slow and easy, it shouldn't be a problem. Within the units themselves, there are three steps UP into the bedroom area from the main living area and maybe one step down into the shower. Both of the two that I recommend have excellent ocean views. I think 6 down is better? (but verify that w/ the manager at Villas Nicolas in case they���ve renumbered) The manager at VNic is Cheryl and it might be best to explain your situation and insist on a unit w/ minimal steps. Some of the units at VNic has several flights of stairs so it's best to be very specific. I���m not sure if their onsite restaurant will be open in the off season if that���s a concern for you. Tulemar has a private beach. VNic does not have beach access but the beach closer to the National Park is ���doable��� by car.

Many of the hotels here are built up against the mountain for optimum views and I can understand your concerns. There are A LOT of steps it seems like everywhere!

Lisa in Manuel Antonio

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manual Antonio Hotels with Senior Citizen Parents

Oops, sorry for those strange things where the ' should be ... I cut and pasted off my WP. Lisa

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Manual Antonio Hotels with Senior Citizen Parents

Thanks Lisa. I appreciate your detailed message. I do think my Mum will be able to negotiate that amount of stairs.

I have narrowed my choices to either the Tulamar or VN. Both look very good.

Thanks again.

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Manual Antonio Hotels with Senior Citizen Parents

I would seriously consider Karahe, it's right on the beach. We stayed at Costa Verde, but spent a lot of time at Karahe eating at their outdoor restaurant and swimming in the pool. Great beach access with chairs you can borrow. It's motel like, but looked comfortable enough. A troop of white faced monkeys made their way through each evening, and they seem to have large resident iguanas that hang out waiting for table scraps.

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...