We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"River" at entrance to MA park

Which Manuel Antonio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
"River" at entrance to MA park

Read that we have to cross a "river" that can be ankle/thigh/chest deep before getting to the entrance; is this a problem or is a "boat" available to ferry across?

How long is the walk to the beach/ocean from the entrance?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
200 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "River" at entrance to MA park

chest high? hmmm, that sounds a little much to me. Usually it's no deeper than knee deep. I have seen a boat that "ferries" people across the 15 feet that is the river, but rarely.

The beach is super close to the entrance. Wear decent shoes, because you do have to do some simple scrambling to get to the entrance.

Storm

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "River" at entrance to MA park

Thanks for all the info Storm!

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "River" at entrance to MA park

If the tide is high and/or the water is too high to be safely passed, there will be a local in a wooden boat to assist you. Since all visitors to the park enter thru the same gate, you will not have a problem accessing the park even during high tide or after a storm. Lisa

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "River" at entrance to MA park

Thanks Lisa!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: "River" at entrance to MA park

Have they changed the entrance - again? Last time I was there - about two years ago - the entrance was up the road past Hotel Vela Bar. You walked in, and then crossed the estuary when LEAVING.

Is that not true anymore?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "River" at entrance to MA park

They have put the entrance back to where it used to be. - at the end of the public beach. I think it was in the other place for about a year.

I think there are or were supposed to be building some kind of bridge to combat the problem of having to wade through the water at hight tide. However, so far no bridge

here are some pictures from our web site.

http://members.shaw.ca/joeroc/park_enter.htm

The boat drivers charge less than 50 cents - it used to be 100 colones but may have gone up abit, to take you across. Support a local entrepreneur!!!

Although most times I have been there, the water has been knee deep or less, there was at least a couple of times where it was past my waist.

Pura Vida,

raquel

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "River" at entrance to MA park

There are guys in small boat that will ferry you across. They work for tips so I usually give them a few hundred colones. There is a plan to build a pedestrian bridge but knowing how things work in CR it will probably take a long time to build the10 meter bridge

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "River" at entrance to MA park

Thanks Raquel for the pics! Its useful to know what lies ahead before I go to a place :-)

usa
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "River" at entrance to MA park

Thanks for the info everyone!

san jose
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: "River" at entrance to MA park

got to get your feet wet to see the park , I would not call this a real river , its a cake walk to the beach , enjoy the monkeys and iguanas and have a nice time