We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel to stay at???????

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
90 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
which hotel to stay at???????

I cant decide between the following hotels as I have read mixed reviews. My choices are La Miraposa, Makanda, Issimo Suites, Hotel Playa Espadilla or Si Como NO.Please advise!!!!!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which hotel to stay at???????

In my opinion, Si Como No - hands down! Can't wait to go back there.

What exactly are you looking for? Do you want complete quiet and romantic, or something with a little more excitement?

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
90 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which hotel to stay at???????

I dont want to come off snobby, but I would like someplace thats nice...but not over $250/night. As it will be 2 females travelling together, we arent interested in romance so much as a place thats fun and relatively close to restaurants. We dont mind having to take a cab. Thanks!!!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which hotel to stay at???????

Si Como No is one of the larger hotels in the area (with about 50 rooms), so it has some night life and its in walking distance of some of the restaurants. The bar can become a hangout, and the hotel has its own little movie theater. I was impressed by the theater. One downfall, is that there are no TV's in the rooms.

Hope this helps. The grounds are georgous and the views are stunning. I used to be a business traveler for many years, so I had become rather picky about the hotels I chose. This is one of the best places I have ever been to and would go back there in a heart beat.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,852 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which hotel to stay at???????

Si Como No is a good choice as it is within walking distance of a number of restaurants. We stayed right next door at Villas Nicholas which is a smaller hotel with even better views and a more private setting (fewer chilkdrebn running around). There is no restaurant at Villas Nicolas but plenty of choices within walking distance. We checked out the bar at Si Como No and had a good meal there. Hotel Playa Espidilla is not in the same category as the other hotels you mentioned, but it has the advantage of being down on the beach outside the park instead of up in the hills with most of the other hotels. You should probably also conside Costa Verde which has studios in Costa Verde II with spectacular views and a gorgeous setting. Costa Verde is not as upscale as Makanda or Mariposa but then the costs are not as upscale either.

Hope you love Manuel Antonio as much as we did!

Boston
Level Contributor
205 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which hotel to stay at???????

I stayed at Si Como No in March and it was the best hotel of my CR vacation!! I highly recommend it. The restaurants are very good, pools are great... and the views are breathtaking. I would consider it a farily romantic hotel so maybe not what you are looking for but it is beautiful.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: which hotel to stay at???????

I like La Mariposa. Fabulous view of the ocean, really nice rooms, and may be a bit less $ than Si Como No. The latter is beautiful, but feels to me so Americanized....a bit of snob factor there with the art gallery and all... When I tour I don't like to have to dress, and I feel like I have to do that at Si como no.

Their spa, though, is fantastic, so it depends on what you want...

Makanda is beautiful too, and apparently has very good food but it's down a road that's a little more isolated, and there's a lot of construction going on around it right now.

La Mariposa is closer to the main road where you can easily catch a shuttle around to restaurants etc. And I would advise eating dinner out, as LM's food is not that wonderful (breakfast fine though, and it's steps away from a cafe on the main road we like as well ... you'll see it...)

Are you ONLY visiting MA?? When are you coming?

Manuel Antonio
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: which hotel to stay at???????

If you are going in the low season check with some of the companies that rent private villas. You can get an amazing private house, close to everything for some amazing low season rates, some as low as $200 a night.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: which hotel to stay at???????

Brittany, Please let us know which hotel you decide on, and later on how you like it, ok?

I can understand your confusion, as the last time I visited M.A., in July I was a little confused too. Things change at these hotels, but mostly I think the ones you are deciding between are all good ones.

Let me know if you're going to have time to explore other areas at all; I might be able to direct you to some cool, out of the way places.

Memphis
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: which hotel to stay at???????

My fiance and I are planning to be in Costa Rica 2nd week of April 2007 for our honeymoon. I am concerned about mixed reviews I have read on other sites about Makanda due to the sale or recent change of ownership and maybe construction. I am not the pickiest person, but for my honeymoon I would rather not feel unsafe or have 3 headed bugs crawling on me in bed. And, of course I would like the best view for the price. I would appreciate any additional advice from those that have been to the area lately.

costa rica
Level Contributor
598 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: which hotel to stay at???????

si como nomo or costa verde, but si como nomo is `better´

…typepad.com/manuel_antonio/home/index.html