We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay and snorkeling

Kansas City...
2 posts
Save Topic
Stay and snorkeling

Best place to stay in Manuel Antonio? And best place to snorkel and what company should we use?

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay and snorkeling

"Best place to stay in Manuel Antonio" is way too broad of a question. There are TONS of places to stay, in different areas, with different styles, and prices that are all over the place. Give us more info so we can give accurate recommendations... budget? is this for family, solo, couple? do you want to stay closer to Quepos or the Beach/Park? do you want a pool? do you want a chance to see wildlife outside your room? etc etc

As far as snorkeling, it isn't great in Manuel Antonio, or in Costa Rica in general. All of the Catamaran boats make a snorkeling stop in a little cove near the marina. The snorkeling is a 3 out of 10. I snorkeled around the rocks off Playa Manuel Antonio inside the park, and it also a 3 out of 10. I also snorkeling the rocks around the cove in the park in Quepos just past the marina and it again was the same. Basically, there is no reef, and the visibility isn't great.... you will see fish, but its really nothing special. You can drive an hour south to Domical / Uvita and take a boat 45 minutes out to Cano Island. The snorkeling is a lot better there, but still not great.

Edited: 3:43 pm, March 24, 2014
Kansas City...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay and snorkeling

Sorry I was so vague. My husband and I are flying into PUERTO JIMENEZ and driving to Bosque Del Cabo on the Osa Peninsula for 4 days. Is the snorkel better there? Then we are flying to Quepos for 4 days and looking for somewhere to stay walking distance to beach/park. We would like a pool, under $200 a night, with a short taxi ride to restaurants/nightlife and the park. We love the outdoors and wildlife, are there any animal sanctuaries in Manuel Antonio? Oh I almost forgot we would love to kayak. Any suggestion where and with what company or can you rent them for the day? Thanks for all your assistance. Teri K

Wellesley, Ma
Level Contributor
796 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay and snorkeling

As The Pura Vida said, snorkeling anywhere in Costa Rica isn't very good and the best is considered to be Cano Island. As for lodging, you might want to first start by plugging in your dates and budget in the hotel section of TA and then narrow it down and ask for advice. Depending on when you are going, there are lots of options under $200. There are animals everywhere in Manuel Antonio so you don't have to look far to find them. I'll leave the kayaking up to others but again, you can look under Manuel Antonio activities and find lots of choices.

Mohrsville...
Level Contributor
225 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay and snorkeling

Believe it or not depending when you are going you can stay at Tulemar's villa Mot Mot ( hideaway I believe) for right about or just below your budget .... Tulemar is ranked # 1 on trip advisor ..... 4 pools , private beach , restaurant , tons of wildlife , personal concierge .......and free kayaks ..... if you bump your budget up just a bit you can get a bungalow .... also lots of restaurants within walking distance right out of their front gates . ............ ** WARNING ** If you do stay here be prepared to never want to leave ! lol

Canada
Level Contributor
4,169 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay and snorkeling

To be honest I don’t know much about this but I did come across this video on You Tube and I don’t know about snorkeling but scuba diving sure looks amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-HU3OyuxtU

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay and snorkeling

But there are some options in Manuel Antonio to snorkel, is not the best one but are tours in a boat with some party going on and then they stay in a specific place to snorkel.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay and snorkeling

Hello! Teri K! one of the best places you can go to would be "Cahuita" at the Caribbean, it is beautiful!, there are more places to go, Samara beach, or Tamarindo. The best option it is up to the place you are going to be at.

Pura Vida! and enjoy

8. Re: Stay and snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 27, 2015