We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day in MA park with good birder guide

noh
st. petersburg...
Level Contributor
167 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
day in MA park with good birder guide

I can see why there is a lively ongoing debate about the value of Manuel Antonio park, with or without guides because it is a mixed bag right now with half of the trails closed down for maintenance. Here is my three cents:

The one mile or so walk into Manuel Antonio beach from the entrance is indeed a little underwhelming. We went after lunch when there are fewer people, but it is still a wide dirt road with lots of foot and some car traffic.

We did see quite a bit of interesting wildlife, but only because we hired a guide through Manuel Antonio Expeditions. I think he knew in advance where a few sloths hang out, but also had amazing ability to spot stuff in the underbrush, particularly birds. Even then, you could usually only see them through his telescope, so I disagree with posters who suggest foregoing the guide and just wait till you see a huddle of people peering into the selva and join in. You might see a few things, but without the telescope, not a lot.

The MA beach itself is spectacular. It's a cove with rocky outcroppings on both sides. If we had more time in the area I would have taken one day to pack a picnic lunch, pay the $6 to park and the $7 entrance fee and make the mile walk, just to spend a few lazy hours there.

Our guide was Jason Solano Zamora 8723-1892 jasonquepos@hotmail.com. I recommend him enthusiastically for any kind of tour in Quepos/MA area. Good english. Friendly manner. Knowledgeable about plants and animals and a great eye for spotting them. I think he works on contract for MA Expeditions so you might be able to cut a better deal in advance by working with him directly, though I can't vouch for that.

He loves birds and spends his off time going on his own birding expeditions in Costa Rica. Can do all sorts of calls himself and has others programmed into this cell phone. We are not birders so I have nothing really to compare him with, but I suspect he might be a great birding guide if you are looking for one.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day in MA park with good birder guide

I think you meant to say the park entrance fee is $10...?

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,083 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day in MA park with good birder guide

Thank you for details of yet another good guide. Such informations are valuable.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
978 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day in MA park with good birder guide

Great information.....thanks.....and to clear up one item.....cars are not allowed in the park....it must have been staff.

Tulemar Dave

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day in MA park with good birder guide

Echos my thoughts also, good post. We also used MAE (Juan and Paul) and thought them excellent.

england
Level Contributor
79 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day in MA park with good birder guide

Used Jade tours and they were excellent. Mario and William are fantastic guides with a wealth of knowledge. Check out the website for Jade tours

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day in MA park with good birder guide

What trails are currently closed for maintenance?

Can you still access ALL of the beaches within the park? Can you still access the lookout trail?

waterloo,ON
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day in MA park with good birder guide

When we were there last week the only beach open was the first one. The others were closed because of crocodile sightings. I saw a list of trails that were closed but I wasn't paying attention to that

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day in MA park with good birder guide

Oh great! I hope those crocs move out by March 8th!

noh
st. petersburg...
Level Contributor
167 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day in MA park with good birder guide

Only trail to Manuel Antonio beach was open, or so guide said. Right about $10 entrance. There were indeed cars on the road, at least 4-5 of them over course of 90 minute walk in. Guide said they are carrying handicapped people and "rich people." I took second half of that comment with grain of salt.

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day in MA park with good birder guide

Anyone know how long the trails will be closed?

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio