We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Weston, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Driver

I did my research in looking for a driving service before I went to Costa Rica and was very pleased with my selection.

I was a little worried about beginning and ending our vacation with a stressful 3+ hour drive. Sitting back a relaxing was definitely the way to go! One of Christian’s drivers picked us up at the airport and Christian himself took us back.

They were prompt, courteous and went out of their way to show us and tell us things and stopped for pictures and even a market so we could pick up a few things we needed.

Here's what you need to know:

Christian Martínez

drivercostarica@gmail.com

www.costaricadriver.net

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
633 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver

You can easily take the bus between SJ and Quepos, or, rent a car, or take a shuttle. Hiring a driver for this cost effective with 4 people vs a Shuttle, otherwise, rent a car. Its a lovely drive, why it stressful? The worst that happens, is you take a wrong turn, and actually interact and enjoy speaking to a nice local Tico...OMG!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver

Some people like to have a private driver and if they can afford it, more power to them! Not everyone would want to ride the bus - or even the shared van shuttle.

It's easy and convenient even though it's more expensive.

There are also advantages such as having an experienced, English-speaking driver who can answer questions for you, point out various points of interest, make the best stops for food or drink, etc. And, it's really easy and reassuring to see someone at the airport exit holding a sign with your name.

Before hiring a private driver, be sure he is properly licensed and insured - which it appears this company is.

Thanks, Alan B for the information.

Edited: 10:27 am, December 28, 2012
Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
951 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver

We usually recommend a private van/driver for our guests as well, especially if it's a first trip and they are arriving into SJ after the shuttle flights end or if it means driving at night.....for safety and stress.....it works well......second trip down.....it's their choice!

Tuemar Dave

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver

I would opt for a shuttle if on a budget. Last few times I used Easyride and was the only passenger which is basically the same as a private driver only way cheaper.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver

If only one or two people and on a budget, either the shared van shuttle or the public bus would be great.

Anyone who is the only passenger in a shuttle is just plain lucky! I have never used a shuttle where there were less than 4-5 people -- and sometimes 12.

The only difference is that the shared van shuttle doesn't pick you up at the airport whereas a private driver does. Plus, with the shuttle - you go according to their schedule and with a private driver, you go according to your schedule.

For some people, by the time they get a taxi and stay somewhere near the airport in order to take the shuttle the next morning, it wouldn't have been that much more to hire private transportation.

6. Re: Driver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, January 02, 2014