We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manuel Antonio or Jaco

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Manuel Antonio or Jaco

I'm going to be in Costa Rica for a short trip (4 days). It's a group of 3 women in early thirties. A "bachelorette" trip.

We are trying to decide between Jaco and Manuel Antonio for two days/nights. MA appears to be more beautiful, better beaches. But is there a nightlife? Are there single people out and about, or all couples and families?

We are spending our last 2 days at the Xandari spa near San Jose. Because it's a short trip, we want to keep it all relatively short distances.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Manuel Antonio or Jaco

I feel like I am forced to be the devil's advocate here. Where are all the Jaco local experts to stick up for their area. One person says Jaco is a dirty spring break town filled with young people and another says its filled with old coots with young chicas. Which is it? It is both and neither. Yes, it has its negatives, as does the MA area, but it also has its positives. It has much more nightlife of ALL types since it is not just filled with eco-tourists intent on getting out early in the morning for their tours the way MA is to a much larger extent. Maybe these gals wouldn't mind hooking up with some young studly surfer dudes. The town itself is admittedly kinda yucky (IMHO) and the beach not the nicest, but there are very nice beaches in the area outside of town and the area is a full hour closer to SJ. Some posters talk about MA like it is a town, which it isn't. MA is the name of the National Park. The town is Quepos and the town itself is IMHO not much nicer than Jaco. The beaches inside the park truly are outstanding, but if you want to talk about Jaco's less than desirable beach, the one outside MA park or the one in Quepos aren't so great either. Finally, Quepos has its share of crime and a drug problem that may be more under the surface but which is definitely there.

I'll definitely agree that the MA area would probably be better for these ladies and have said as much earlier, but I just wanted to bring more balance into the discussion as so many others seem to want to really rank on Jaco.

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Manuel Antonio or Jaco

I love Costa RIca, I think its a great example in latin america and I understand that what I wrote seem negative, but it was not a general description of Costa Rica, it was a description of drug and prostitution problems, and that always sad to read.

I dont know if I hang out with the wrong people, but I know I hang out with all kinds of people from rish to poor always trying not to exclude people based on prejudgements. Thats why I talk and become friends with begging children, prostitutes, drugaddicts, indian migrant workers who never meet their families. And when I come back, which I do every year I ask the kids what they do, and I get sad seeing so many of the poor kids going in to prostitution and drugdealing, I tell them so too and they understand but many feels let down by thir gowernment, even though I again want to stess that Costa Rica, based on its assets does a great work and I think its a good rolemodel for central america.

But still, everyone I met has actually mentioned the drugs and prostitution in Jaco, despite if they are stanford lawstudents or a 13 year old guy selling pot. So I think it should be mentioned if you now choose where to go.

I also just want to say that with this I dont mean that I want prostitution to go undergrund just to make rich pepople not having to see the problems in the world (not all kinds of prostitution is a problem but it is often a result of poverty or addiction).

I guess that I, based on my education (Human Rights Law), also notice and draw parallels that most people dont, which is good for them but sad for the world.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Manuel Antonio or Jaco

Thank you all for your replies. We have decided to go to Manuel Antonio for a variety of reasons. We decided to do 3 nights in Manuel Antonio and just 1 night at the spa. So we have 2 whole days and 3 nights to explore MA.

14. Re: Manuel Antonio or Jaco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...