We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Duluth, Minnesota
3 posts
Save Topic
Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

We are planning to stay for a week at the Hotel Parador in June 2013. The package comes with transportation from SJO to the hotel. My question is will we need a car to travel around the area once we get to the hotel?

I like to explore cities and my wife really likes to shop and walk around to find neat restaurants, etc. I've looked at google maps in the area and it appears that there isn't a lot of those activities to walk to. Would we be better off renting a car at SJO and driving down or only walking from the hotel? Also, are there grocery stores or liquor stores in the area we can walk to to save money?

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
5,659 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

Taxis are pretty cheap. We used them to go to places we couldn't walk to, and we never paid more than five bucks.

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

As mentioned, taxis are easy and not customary to tip. However, since Parador as at the end of the longest road, the cost is more in the $8 range each way. Still not very expensive, but if you go out shopping and dining alot, then that may make a difference. However, this hotel has a regular shuttle to the park and beaches, with happens to pass by most of the best restaurants and several excellent souvenier stores, so that may work just fine for you. Also, as mentioned, Beisanz beach is a few minutes walk, and a lovely place to spend the day at a beach with the locals and not just tourists! Enjoy!

guanacaste
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

MA is a very nice destination.

Parador is my favorite Hotel there. The sunset from the pool looking at the ocean and the small islands is a definite wow.

No need for a car, since the hotel has shuttle back and forth. As someone mentioned there is a nice beach close by. Taxis are easy to access and tour operators will pick you up at the hotel.

Enjoy a nice cocktail in the pool at sunset!!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
45,163 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

Really do not need a car in Manuel Antonio...of course if you are in one of the hotels or houses near main road...if you are at the top of the hill...or all the way down to one of the beach houses or hotels like Arenas del Mar...nice to have a car!

roadadvisor

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,540 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

Hi, sorry to hijack the thread, we've just booked 2 nights at the Hotel Plaza Yara - can anyone advise how conveniently located this is for getting out to restaurants, the beach etc?

Thanks

D

Manuel Antonio
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

Plaza Yara is right on the main rd to the park/beach with bus stops only 1 block away in either direction. Its also very easy to flag a taxi there. Enjoy!

Hudson, Iowa
Level Contributor
197 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

I definately would not rent a car. You will be able to walk to some things, the bus system is awesome, very inexpensive and easy to use, also very safe.. You can always get a cab if you really have to. Enjoy!

18. Re: Do we need a car to get around once at our hotel in MA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 01, 2013