We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from sjo to outside of La Fortuna

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
novato, california
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
transportation from sjo to outside of La Fortuna

Would you recommend a private transfer or would a driver be the same thing?

Newport Beach, Ca
Level Contributor
106 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from sjo to outside of La Fortuna

Private transfer is the same as a private driver. Other options are; shared transfer, Sansa/ nature Air flight,, public bus, or taxi. Depending on your budget and number of travelers, one of these will be an better option than the other. Many posts on here regarding these options. Hope this helps.

Mark

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from sjo to outside of La Fortuna

We usually hire a private driver. It will probably cost your around $140ish if that gives you an idea of costs. Interbus is a more affordable option, but depending on how many people you have since they charge per person. If you're adventurous, a lot of people do the drive themselves.

novato, california
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from sjo to outside of La Fortuna

How do you find a reputable private driver?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from sjo to outside of La Fortuna

The TA Forum has collected a list of shuttles and private drivers here tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g291982-c109576/Costa-… They have been recommended from time to time by travelers. I personally recommend Danny Jimenez (he has wifi in his vehicles) and Juan Carlos, other contributors have their favorites, but you should contact a few to get pricing and availability. The shuttles will take you to La Fortuna, however you work on their time table and you share the van with other travelers...still not a bad way to go and you save money.

Have a great trip.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation from sjo to outside of La Fortuna

Great advice by cajon traveler. Get rates from a few different ones. The transfer from San Jose to La Fortuna should take approx 3 hours via San Ramon. Have a great time!

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation from sjo to outside of La Fortuna

Our family and friends have been using http://www.tucanlimoservices.com/ for the last few years when we visit Costa Rica, I highly recommend them. English speaking profesional drivers, newer and fully insured and licensed vehicles, many years in transport business in Costa Rica.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation from sjo to outside of La Fortuna

It is a nice easy ride...good road...at the moment just one slow down by La Balsa river...not big deal...but great road...I juts come back from there it was nice all the way driving In and driving out...stop at Los Angeles and buy some great Queso Plamito...just the best!

roadadvisor

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
591 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation from sjo to outside of La Fortuna

You can get transport from www.montezumaexpeditions.com/schedules.htm

I use them to get to/from Montezuma all the time.

I think if you've got more than 4 people, I think you can rent a whole (10-14 person) van for a decent price. Call and ask. I don't see it on the site, but I think I've seen it somewhere.

Gary

http://GarySaid.com/topics/costa-rica/

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation from sjo to outside of La Fortuna

We like Carlos Bogarin with Destinos Encantados, but you can also book a driver through your hotels when you reserve them.

http://destinos-encantados.com/

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation from sjo to outside of La Fortuna

We have always used Alex at Alajuela tours. Alex's email is alexhv456@hotmail.com and his phone number is 506-8850-9252. He has a new vehicle, with wi-fi, speaks excellent English and is always on time. Can't recommend him more highly. Matter of fact, he brought is home from the airport last night. He drives for us and our visitors all the time when we are in Costa Rica.