We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheel chairs/assistance for Manuel Antonio national park

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Wheel chairs/assistance for Manuel Antonio national park

Hi,

I know that the hike at MA natl park rainforests is supposed to be an easy 2.5 hour hike. Still, walking for more than 30 minutes at a stretch will be difficult for me. Does any one know whether some kind of wheelchairs or other vehicles can be rented for us to enjoy the rainforest tour?

What are the most recommended activities considering my lack of hiking prowess?

Waiting for valuable comments,

--CRTourist.

PNW
Level Contributor
642 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wheel chairs/assistance for Manuel Antonio national park

CR,

What hotel are you staying at in MA? What I recommend is email them and ask if they have wheelchair assistance or wheelchairs available. They can probably arrange things for you.

calgary, ab
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wheel chairs/assistance for Manuel Antonio national park

A wheel chair may prove difficult. I am trying to remember how soft/hard rocky the trail was. When you turn around the loop to go back it was a rockie area. There was one area that you could do a short loop through, that many locals used to get to the beach. Is there a possibility you could just take your time and pack a small portable chair for frequent brakes?

You may also want to consider going on Mangrove tours in a motor boat, we found we were able to see wildlife and found it very educational.

The town of MA did not look very w/c friendly because of the amounts of rain they get they have huge drainage ditches beside the roads. You would have to pick and chose your routes.

Good luck, CR is a beautiful country

San Francisco
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wheel chairs/assistance for Manuel Antonio national park

A) Yes, I've written to the hotel and haven't yet received their response. Meanwhile, I wanted to see whether some of our "forum friends" had any bright ideas.

B) A clarification: All I need is a simple wheel chair that my spouse can push. And I think I might need it if I am to keep pace with the tour guide while we are in the rainforest.

--CRTourist

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Wheel chairs/assistance for Manuel Antonio national park

The trails there are not wheelchair friendly. One is an old gravel road. The rest thin, bumpy, etc. - you have to step over roots, walk uphill, ... Here is an idea: don't take a tour guide. We saw plenty of wildlife without one. Go at your own pace. Maybe bring a small lite folding chair to rest. You don't need a guide to keep up with.