We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car hassles

Harwich Port...
Level Contributor
100 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rental car hassles

We are traveling to CR in early December. Flying into San Jose and traveling to MA with friends via private driver to a rental house for one week and returning to SJ again with private driver. From there my husband and I are traveling to La Fortuna for 4 days and we would really like to have a rental car while we are there. We are experienced travelers and have always rented cars no matter where we travel but with all of the problems I have read about with rental cars on TA I am wondering if we are better off waiting until we get to La Fortuna to rent the car or just go ahead and rent in San Jose. Is it difficult to rent a car in La Fortuna?

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
811 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rental car hassles

Just try Service Car Rental. You'll be happy without all the BS that others have experienced.

Dunwoody, Georgia
Level Contributor
163 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rental car hassles

I would fly with spouse from Quepos, near Manuel Antonio to Arenal, near La fortuna, via San Jose, will save hours, unless you just want to drive. If you want to rent a car in SJ no problem and have fun!

Medina, Ohio
Level Contributor
464 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Rental car hassles

I rented with dollar and I also wasn't forced to get any extra insurance. I used insurance through my credit card and just told dollar I didn't need any insurance. They didn't hassle me or give me any problems. Although I did opt in to purchase the extra insurance to lower my deductible to 0 which cost about 3 dollars a day but this wasn't mandatory either.

Edited: 6:53 pm, June 20, 2012
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Rental car hassles

Another vote for Dollar. You always pay exactly what you are quoted on their website. No trouble at all waiving the CDW with credit card coverage.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Rental car hassles

Go with Adobe!! They are the best. If you are still unsure and a little hesitant, contact Tachiz Travel to help. He will assist you in getting from the hotel to Adobe Rental Car once you arrive in SJO.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,765 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Rental car hassles

Most rent a cars will dropp the car at your hotel...you really do not need any middle person...

roadadvisor

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Rental car hassles

Lots of good suggestions from travelers who have been in your place, trying to rent a car without a hassle, as to pick up and drop off, certainly, the rental office will offer that but often the little clause "for an additional fee/charge" is added to the quote. If the office is local, perhaps you can walk, or take an inexpensive taxi. Always inspect the vehicle in the daylight and indicate all scratches, dents, marks and worn items, as you will be responsible for any damage upon return. Have a great trip.

18. Re: Rental car hassles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, June 24, 2013