We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Arenal to Quepos

Fort Lauderdale...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving from Arenal to Quepos

We will be traveling between Arenal and Manuel Antonio and we are trying to decide how to travel between these cities. We are considering renting a car and driving from Arenal to our hotel in Manuel Antonio. Our other option is that our hotel in Manuel Antonio comes with a free roundtrip transfer from SJO so we are thinking about driving from Arenal back to SJO and returning our car and taking the private transfer from SJO to Manuel Antonio. I am not sure if the second option makes sense because it will take a lot more time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Arenal to Quepos

If you drive from Arenal to Manuel Antonio it would be an approx 5 hour drive, vrs a 3 hour drive to San Jose and 3 more hours from San Jose to Manuel Antonio. There are also shared transfers that would go from Arenal to Manuel Antonio for approx $45 per person that you can also use.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Arenal to Quepos

If you are open to driving, I would keep the car the entire time. It will give you the freedom to come and go as you please.

If you do not want to drive 5 hours to Manuel Antonio and the hotel is offering a private transfer from SJO, you may want to ask them if they will give you credit towards picking you up in Arenal. There are several rental car companies that have offices in San Jose and Fortuna, which would allow you to do this. You could even drop the car and take a domestic flight to Manuel Antonio to save time.

Fort Lauderdale...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Arenal to Quepos

Thank you for your responses. I am having a hard time finding a car rental agency in Fortuna. I would like to rent a car in Fortuna and drop it off in Quepos. Do you have any recommendations?

Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Arenal to Quepos

You can try Alamo which has an office: http://www.alamocostarica.com/

Also most other rent a cars will bring you a car to Arenal. There will be a drop off charge as you are picking up and droping off at different locations. Make sure you get mandatory insurance quoted in your price so there are no last minute price surprises.

5. Re: Driving from Arenal to Quepos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, June 22, 2013